When does Autopark and Summon show up in Germany

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
i am a little confused, Summon with all derivates was working with sensors correct. Now after Tesla changed it to optical view it was told it is not allowed due to country based legislation. I was told recently BMW can do in the new i5 series a similar technology... Why is it allowed for BMW and Tesla got restrictions? This cause some questioning to me...
The EU is scared that a US based company will leapfrog the legacy auto makers over there.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
i am a little confused, Summon with all derivates was working with sensors correct. Now after Tesla changed it to optical view it was told it is not allowed due to country based legislation. I was told recently BMW can do in the new i5 series a similar technology... Why is it allowed for BMW and Tesla got restrictions? This cause some questioning to me...
Probably because BMW uses a hybrid solution, USSs + Vision. USSs are more reliable than vision, full stop. They detect what vision just cannot.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
2024.20.6 releases Autopark out side of America, can anyone confirm whether it works in the UK on EAP Non USS car
Seems like you're getting it this time! It's marked as available to Italy also for non-USS vehicles, although I updated just today to 20.3 and don't have EAP/FSD to fully confirm. I might be thinking of adding FSD if I start to see some actual benefit picking up, however I don't see EAP worth the price, with or without autopark, unless I see a hint of FSD within a year.

Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
I was surprised seeing this in the release notes, as it was already working (at least sometimes) for me. Update installed, i will test it tomorrow. Lets see what its capable of now, i guess its the Updated version of Autopark.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
I was surprised seeing this in the release notes, as it was already working (at least sometimes) for me. Update installed, i will test it tomorrow. Lets see what its capable of now, i guess its the Updated version of Autopark.
If it was already working, you might be in for a disappointment. It should be just an extension to 3rd world countries on the Tesla geopolitical map.

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
If it was already working, you might be in for a disappointment. It should be just an extension to 3rd world countries on the Tesla geopolitical map.
Got to test it two times before work. It now shows the new visualization of Autopark and i can choose a parking spot on the screen now. The first time i was not sure it got better, the second time worked like a charm. It behaves differently than before, thats for sure. Still not perfect on the parking lot of my workplace, but i will test other parking lots after work. So far it looks promising.

fbaboni

Jun 28, 2024
Summon doesn't work in EU due to legislation.
In EU it is mandatory to have a person behind the wheels, while Summon is "driving without a driver". So that is why it is forbidden.

EVSteveA

Jan 19, 2023
To my knowledge in the uk it was active to USS vehicles Someone correct me if I am
Wrong

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
To my knowledge in the uk it was active to USS vehicles Someone correct me if I am
Wrong
To my knowledge it has never been active in the EU. Only autopark, until it wasn't.

That's why I've never purchased EAP/FSD, the only benefit being getting rid of obnoxious autopilot beeps (which on autopilot on are unnecessary at best) for lane-changing.

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
Summon doesn't work in EU due to legislation.
In EU it is mandatory to have a person behind the wheels, while Summon is "driving without a driver". So that is why it is forbidden.
Thats not quite true. I do have it working on my M3, it just has some limitations in the EU. Summon can only drive if a FOB Key or Phone with Bluetooth is in the range of 6 meters to the vehicle and you need to press a button continuously to get it working. Also, it can drive a maximum distance of 20 meters i think, before you need to manually get in the vehicle and drive it a bit to use summon again. I think its currently limited to USS Vehicles.

Reactions: K.I.T.T.

Sonny1983

Apr 30, 2024
Thats not quite true. I do have it working on my M3, it just has some limitations in the EU. Summon can only drive if a FOB Key or Phone with Bluetooth is in the range of 6 meters to the vehicle and you need to press a button continuously to get it working. Also, it can drive a maximum distance of 20 meters i think, before you need to manually get in the vehicle and drive it a bit to use summon again. I think its currently limited to USS Vehicles.
Yes, but the limitations are killing it. I live in Germany, and I never get it to work anywhere close to 6m away from the car. I basically have to stand max 1.5m (3ft) away from it or it can't read my phone key. I don't know if it's the iPhone 13 that maybe has a weak BT signal, but anyhow, fro me it's not usable. Plus, the extreme delay when pressing a button (about 5s) is a killer. If you use it to get your car out of a frequented parking lot, others will get furious before it's done. And often the car just stopps without anything beeing in the way. You also don't get feedback why it stopped.

The way this feature is advertised on the German Tesla website is misleading. The animation with the person standing at least 10m away from a garage is just unrealistic here.

Reactions: joe_apxc

joe_apxc

Feb 20, 2024
Yes, but the limitations are killing it. I live in Germany, and I never get it to work anywhere close to 6m away from the car. I basically have to stand max 1.5m (3ft) away from it or it can't read my phone key. I don't know if it's the iPhone 13 that maybe has a weak BT signal, but anyhow, fro me it's not usable. Plus, the extreme delay when pressing a button (about 5s) is a killer. If you use it to get your car out of a frequented parking lot, others will get furious before it's done. And often the car just stopps without anything beeing in the way. You also don't get feedback why it stopped.

The way this feature is advertised on the German Tesla website is misleading. The animation with the person standing at least 10m away from a garage is just unrealistic here.

That is also true, it is very limited in real world usage as you stated with the example of a busy parking lot. Takes a couple seconds to start creeping. But if you have a very narrow garage at home like me, it can still be useful to send it into the garage and summon it out of it again, i use it every day before driving to work and after getting home from work. Apart from home, i only used it once or twice in a public parking lot because other cars parked like s*it and it was the only available space. So i used summon to get it in and out of the spot. Luckily, no other driver was around so i had the time it takes to use it. I do hope they improve it by a lot, so that i can also be useful in busy parking lots because other drivers dont have any time whatsoever XD