Discuss: Tesla Adds Options to Actually Smart Summon, Supports Sunglasses in FSD 12.5.4

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Looks like this is going out a little 'wider' as both of our 2024 cars have gotten it. Good sign?
I'll be more excited when we get to 12.6 or later, this build's speed handling is annoying.

Reactions: RNHurt

notadriver

Sep 24, 2024
My 2023 Y HW3 is on 12.5.4 as of today.

ASS is neat, but was incapable of successfully navigating the tight turn in my driveway to the garage in back. It also thinks the semi-circle in the front is a public road and won't operate at all, but it looks like that might be a function of Google data.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
I think it drives faster than 12.5.1.3, particularly in slow corners. All around more confident. It will be interesting to see what edge cases, if any, have been solved that have been complaints for a long time. Crossing gates at railroads, for instance. Or not turning when No Turn On Red signs are present.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
Tested last night. Be prepared to take over, or run a red light, if the light changes to yellow as you approach. Seems to be multiple reports of 12.5.4 running red lights. My theory is that a light turns yellow, and FSD incorrectly thinks it is already in an intersection and needs to just keep going, even on red. It's confident, maybe overconfident.

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
Two lane road speeds are much better, however even at the chill settings it’s almost too aggressive. Spinning the tires out of intersections and tagging behind another car to get through a stop sign. Also lane positioning has taken a major hit. Got more work to do fsd team, a little less work on ass and more on actual driving, speed control etc… summon is not a priority safety and following the rules of the road are.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
I’ll be driving down to Awatukee from Prescott tonight, thanks for the head’s up!
I've only had the one issue. I really wonder what would have happened if I had let it go. I think it would have just barely run the light without slowing down or speeding up - almost like it never noticed it.

Overall, it seems quicker. It's not quite a turtle in low speed turns anymore.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
FWIW- I had it crash (the system, not the car) on the way to Fry's today. It started screaming for me to take over immediately in a school zone where I reported that it was speeding with a voice memo. Twice. Maybe the back to back voice memos caused that, but whatever it was I had no FSDs for the rest of the way to Fry's. It was fine once I got back in the car.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
My MX was sitting without an update for 2 months and I was frustrated. A couple of days ago I got 2024.27.10 and almost immediately got 2024.27.25 (installing now). I wonder what happened with the older 27 updates that made 27.25 so important to push out. 🤔

The short time I got to spend with 27.10 was pretty disappointing / scary. I only used it on two lane local roads to help with stop-n-go traffic, but man was it aggressive! I think it actually squealed the tires once or twice trying to close the 15' distance to a stopped car ahead of me in traffic. I turned it off pretty quickly after that. Previously I was running FSD 12.3.6 and it worked pretty well overall; 12.5.2.1 is terrible!

VoodooPriest

Nov 26, 2022
I got it last night in my 2022 M3LR. It was after 11 p.m., so it hadn't been driven. Honestly, the main thing I wanted was the nag to go away.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
The nag is gone, even with sunglasses. I haven't had super aggressive behavior, mostly I keep it in 'chill' or average.
For the most part this new version did great last night. Oddly it started picking up some speed limit signs it missed prior, but then there were some it missed. Then there were some it picked up but didn't change my speed. During some construction on highways it showed some speed limits down to like 35 and DID slow my car down, which was strange. Maybe the car thought we were on an exit ramp? I dunno. It still doesn't like to get up to the speed I set (I use the % offset, not the auto max). For the most part it was great. It was obviously using the old stack on the highway, I got notified with text as to why it was changing lanes which is appreciated!
Good stuff but you gotta supervise it. I was particularly impressed with how well it did in construction zones with lanes being conned off and forced merges. There was one spot on I17 where we were being corralled into the HOV lane and most people had already moved over, my car was gonna be a jack ass and zip past a bunch then be forced to merge so I just did that on my own.

Reactions: VoodooPriest

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
The nag is gone, even with sunglasses. I haven't had super aggressive behavior, mostly I keep it in 'chill' or average.
For the most part this new version did great last night. Oddly it started picking up some speed limit signs it missed prior, but then there were some it missed. Then there were some it picked up but didn't change my speed. During some construction on highways it showed some speed limits down to like 35 and DID slow my car down, which was strange. Maybe the car thought we were on an exit ramp? I dunno. It still doesn't like to get up to the speed I set (I use the % offset, not the auto max). For the most part it was great. It was obviously using the old stack on the highway, I got notified with text as to why it was changing lanes which is appreciated!
Good stuff but you gotta supervise it. I was particularly impressed with how well it did in construction zones with lanes being conned off and forced merges. There was one spot on I17 where we were being corralled into the HOV lane and most people had already moved over, my car was gonna be a jack ass and zip past a bunch then be forced to merge so I just did that on my own.
Did it look like the car would actually get itself into the HOV lane? Would cross the wide white line? I live near I17 and Dove Valley Road where much of the construction activity has been going on for months. One day the construction was gradually forcing everyone into the HOV lane, and as I approached, the car did a severe panic brake. It was going to stop in the (disappearing) high speed lane rather than cross the white line.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Good point Craig, no! It still doesn't like going over the solid white lines from what I saw. So the same behavior you're describing.
Wish I would have put it on auto-max speed last night, tried it a little today and it still was a little faster than I liked at one spot. The car did great today with mild traffic going 10 miles to the Prescott Airport and back. Very pleasant drive!

MyYldRide

Aug 5, 2024
23 MY HW 3
Tried ASS in a golf course parking lot. Worked well after figured out the controls.
Haven’t really tried FSD much, but this version turned into my driveway at the end which it has never done before.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
OMG! Just did a short drive on v12.5.4 and it's horrible! It panic stopped in the middle of traffic trying to turn right and almost caused an accident. Overall it feels much more ... nervous ... to me, like the accelerator is being slightly pushed on and off constantly. It feels much more like v11 with regards to turning corners; constantly jerking the steering wheel and not making any smooth movements.

I really wish I could go back to v12.3.x. I guess I just won't be using FSD until I'm off of v12.5. :(

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
OMG! Just did a short drive on v12.5.4 and it's horrible! It panic stopped in the middle of traffic trying to turn right and almost caused an accident. Overall it feels much more ... nervous ... to me, like the accelerator is being slightly pushed on and off constantly. It feels much more like v11 with regards to turning corners; constantly jerking the steering wheel and not making any smooth movements.

I really wish I could go back to v12.3.x. I guess I just won't be using FSD until I'm off of v12.5. :(
I’m with u on wish I could go back in my case to 13.5.1.3 to be honest this release feels worse than v11. All smoothness gone and downright reckless. Please fix asap Tesla

VoodooPriest

Nov 26, 2022
I've had a good but limited experience with 12.5.4 so far. Working from home, my driving is cut back a bit. It did okay in town to/from the ice cream shop. And no freaking nags for the first time. I plan to use it for most drives to assess the good and bad better.

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
I drove around Eevee today with my sunglasses on. It seems better than 12.3.6 in my area. A couple of times, it acted confused, but that usually happens the first few days after a new build, and then it smooths out. I'll be driving it more this weekend/next week. No interventions. I have yet to try my "trouble spot," though. There is no real reason to drive that way anymore (I have a different job, so I have a different drive now).

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Oh, forgot to mention the sunglasses- works great. However, I stared at the screen without moving my head and the car had no idea. That's prolly not good :) .
As for speeds- I went back to my set % over vs auto max. That's got me nudging the accelerator and scrolling up the speed on roads with 25-35 MPH limits.