Discuss: Tesla Adds Options to Actually Smart Summon, Supports Sunglasses in FSD 12.5.4

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
Oh, forgot to mention the sunglasses- works great. However, I stared at the screen without moving my head and the car had no idea. That's prolly not good :) .
As for speeds- I went back to my set % over vs auto max. That's got me nudging the accelerator and scrolling up the speed on roads with 25-35 MPH limits.
That has been my experience so far with the auto max vs. % as well . Have not decided which I’m going to keep . May depend on how the E2E highway stack works:

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

VoodooPriest

Nov 26, 2022
After more time with 12.5.4, I have noticed more jerky steering around some (not all) corners that had previously been eliminated. I also had a situation driving to dinner in town yesterday where a turn onto a named sideroad was part of the course. Not an alley but a small street with an actual road name sign. The car thought about turning, jerked around, and slowly drove past the road but almost on the berm. Pretty bad. I'd guess the bike lane with the solid line was throwing it off. I'm using FSD a lot more in city situations since "no nag," and I want to put it through its paces harder than before.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
How good would FSD seem if it simply had human-level route planning and quit doing poor lane choices most of the time? I've gotten pretty used to doing manual lane changes via turn signal when useful.

How good would FSD seem if it simply had a speed control like 'go the speed limit here'? Personally, I'd like chill, average and assertive to make a difference, and I'd like a voice control like 'drive slower' or 'speed up to the speed limit'.

The above would solve most of my interventions.

Then there are edge cases that no version of FSD seems to solve:
1. flashing lights in general. But especially with school busses and emergency vehicles.
2. 'floating barriers' (need a term for this). Crossing gates at railroads, gates at the entrance or exits of parking garages, chains or ropes used as gates, etc. Sure seems like FSD would ram right into these. An example of me is coming up to the commuter train tracks in Phoenix when the crossing gate is down before the train gets to the intersection. FSD sees an open road with nothing in the way.
3. no turn on red - car does it anyway
4. getting into or out of HOV lanes in Arizona. - We don't have entry or exit points anywhere on HOV lanes here, and FSD simply refuses to get into or out of them anywhere in Phoenix. Considering we get 'free' HOV access (until Sept 2025), it's been a big FSD fail, though as with most FSD failures, it's more a matter of speed than safety.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
How good would FSD seem if it simply had human-level route planning and quit doing poor lane choices most of the time? I've gotten pretty used to doing manual lane changes via turn signal when useful.

How good would FSD seem if it simply had a speed control like 'go the speed limit here'? Personally, I'd like chill, average and assertive to make a difference, and I'd like a voice control like 'drive slower' or 'speed up to the speed limit'.

The above would solve most of my interventions.

Then there are edge cases that no version of FSD seems to solve:
1. flashing lights in general. But especially with school busses and emergency vehicles.
2. 'floating barriers' (need a term for this). Crossing gates at railroads, gates at the entrance or exits of parking garages, chains or ropes used as gates, etc. Sure seems like FSD would ram right into these. An example of me is coming up to the commuter train tracks in Phoenix when the crossing gate is down before the train gets to the intersection. FSD sees an open road with nothing in the way.
3. no turn on red - car does it anyway
4. getting into or out of HOV lanes in Arizona. - We don't have entry or exit points anywhere on HOV lanes here, and FSD simply refuses to get into or out of them anywhere in Phoenix. Considering we get 'free' HOV access (until Sept 2025), it's been a big FSD fail, though as with most FSD failures, it's more a matter of speed than safety.
It is *so* close we can taste it!
I swear there was a version that saw 15mph SL signs at school crosswalks, doesn’t any more. That’s a good one to be aware of Until it is corrected.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
It is *so* close we can taste it!
I swear there was a version that saw 15mph SL signs at school crosswalks, doesn’t any more. That’s a good one to be aware of Until it is corrected.
I'm sure the car can read signs, or it wouldn't stop at temporary stop signs. I've seen it display speed limits in construction zones. There is one near me where a long stretch of 45mph zone is marked as 25mph with temporary speed limit signs sitting on the ground. In one spot there was one of these about 10 feet from a 45mph sign. As I crept by, the display was rapidly switching back and forth between 25 and 45 for a second.

The car has been told to ignore most signs, as far as I can tell. I think. It's uncanny sometimes how the display shows the speed limit change just as I pass a sign, but I figure it is just accurate GPS-related data, because I also see newer (higher) speed limit signs ignored, as if the govt hadn't gotten around to updating an electronic map. Or the speed limit changing well after I passed the sign, like a few miles. But there are also lots of reports of cars slowing to 10 or 15mph when they pass a "Route 10" or "US 15" road signs. So sometimes the car sees and reacts, others times I guess it sees and ignores.

No right turn on red signs should be fairly easy to see, but the car seems to not see them at all.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I'm sure the car can read signs, or it wouldn't stop at temporary stop signs. I've seen it display speed limits in construction zones. There is one near me where a long stretch of 45mph zone is marked as 25mph with temporary speed limit signs sitting on the ground. In one spot there was one of these about 10 feet from a 45mph sign. As I crept by, the display was rapidly switching back and forth between 25 and 45 for a second.

The car has been told to ignore most signs, as far as I can tell. I think. It's uncanny sometimes how the display shows the speed limit change just as I pass a sign, but I figure it is just accurate GPS-related data, because I also see newer (higher) speed limit signs ignored, as if the govt hadn't gotten around to updating an electronic map. Or the speed limit changing well after I passed the sign, like a few miles. But there are also lots of reports of cars slowing to 10 or 15mph when they pass a "Route 10" or "US 15" road signs. So sometimes the car sees and reacts, others times I guess it sees and ignores.

No right turn on red signs should be fairly easy to see, but the car seems to not see them at all.
It definitely can read them, and sometimes it displays the SL signs but ignores the number. Sometimes it doesn't display the sign but the SL changes in the car. It's real hit or miss.
Today when we went to pick up our new 3 the Y stopped at the red light getting off I10 at Warner, and it did NOT turn right on red when there was plenty of opportunities to do so, and there are 2 'No Turn on Red' signs there so it did very well. I wonder if that's part of the Nav data though. There were some other strange SL changes and then it wasn't changing the current set speed with some SL changes. So the SL went up to 75 but we were still set at 70.
Oh, that was DEFINITELY on the highway stack too. Text explanations as to why it was changing lanes were displayed and I could change the set speed with the scroll wheel. Back on Hwy 69 in town where the SL drops from 55 to 45 and 35 where there is construction the car would just continue at the previous speed which was now 15 over and I had to intervene each time. If I had a dollar for every 'TOO FAST' report I recorded I'd be able to buy a pizza.