V12 FSD riding on Right line

lholz

Apr 14, 2024
Tesla Model X 2024 (Riding on the Right Line) Personal Camera Recalibration Test and Conclusion

Testing SW:
FSD 12.3.6 (Local Road)

Experiment Details:

Part 1: Without Recalibrating the Camera

Premise: The visualization system can correctly identify the lane lines and vehicle position.:D
  • Scenario 1: FSD rides on the right lane line on certain routes.:(
  • Scenario 2: On the same route, with FSD off and only lane-keeping enabled, the vehicle stays in the middle of the lane (slightly right).
Part 2: After Recalibrating the Camera
Premise: The visualization system can correctly identify the lane lines and vehicle position.:D

• Scenario 1: FSD still rides on the right lane line on the same route.:(
  • Scenario 2: With FSD off and only lane-keeping enabled, the vehicle stays in the middle of the lane (slightly right), similar to before recalibration.
Additional Notes: After realizing that the vehicle could correctly identify its position and the lane lines, I suspected the issue was not with the camera. However, I still performed a simple recalibration. Moreover, in my conclusion, I believe riding on the line is a behavior trained into the AI model. :eek:My observation is based on other vehicles on the test lane, where a significant number of cars were also riding on the line or extremely close to it. I understand this human driving behavior aims to maintain distance from oncoming traffic, but the real issue is that the current FSD tends to ride the line for too long and too far. Additionally, it struggles to quickly recognize obstacles and road conditions near the right lane line.

Conclusion (based solely on my personal tests):
  1. Riding on the right line is a trained behavior that is not related to camera calibration. It is a "not so safe" behavior included in the trained AI model.
  2. I believe Tesla simply did not instruct the AI model to "avoid riding on the right line for a long time."
  3. This behavior is safe in the majority of cases.
  4. However, it becomes very dangerous in certain scenarios, such as when there are tree branches, mailboxes, speed bumps, or potholes and damage on the shoulder.:eek:
  5. I do not think we can resolve this issue without professional maintenance services.:( Therefore, I recommend that everyone disengage FSD when encountering this situation and provide real-time feedback to Tesla more frequently.
Thank you for your test and conclusion. I was hoping recalibration would help, but am not surprised it did not.

Recently FSD did great. It stayed in the center of it's lane for almost a week. I was hoping it had been fixed, but then it went back to riding the right line. A couple times it rode the left line that divided me from oncoming traffic. There were no cars coming at the time but I took it out of FSD and reported it. When I restarted FSD, it would go right back to the left line again.

Oct 17, 2023
California
Tesla Model X 2024 (Riding on the Right Line) Personal Camera Recalibration Test and Conclusion

Testing SW:
FSD 12.3.6 (Local Road)

Experiment Details:

Part 1: Without Recalibrating the Camera

• Scenario 1: FSD rides on the right lane line on certain routes.:(
  • Scenario 2: On the same route, with FSD off and only lane-keeping enabled, the vehicle stays in the middle of the lane (slightly right).
Part 2: After Recalibrating the Camera

• Scenario 1: FSD still rides on the right lane line on the same route.:(
  • Scenario 2: With FSD off and only lane-keeping enabled, the vehicle stays in the middle of the lane (slightly right), similar to before recalibration.
Additional Notes: After realizing that the vehicle could correctly identify its position and the lane lines, I suspected the issue was not with the camera. However, I still performed a simple recalibration. Moreover, in my conclusion, I believe riding on the line is a behavior trained into the AI model. :eek:My observation is based on other vehicles on the test lane, where a significant number of cars were also riding on the line or extremely close to it. I understand this human driving behavior aims to maintain distance from oncoming traffic, but the real issue is that the current FSD tends to ride the line for too long and too far. Additionally, it struggles to quickly recognize obstacles and road conditions near the right lane line.

Conclusion (based solely on my personal tests):
  1. Riding on the right line is a trained behavior that is not related to camera calibration. It is a "not so safe" behavior included in the trained AI model.
  2. I believe Tesla simply did not instruct the AI model to "avoid riding on the right line for a long time."
  3. This behavior is safe in the majority of cases.
  4. However, it becomes very dangerous in certain scenarios, such as when there are tree branches, mailboxes, speed bumps, or potholes and damage on the shoulder.:eek:
  5. I do not think we can resolve this issue without professional maintenance services.:( Therefore, I recommend that everyone disengage FSD when encountering this situation and provide real-time feedback to Tesla more frequently.
Thanks for the in detail analysis! on both of my cars FSD doesn’t ride on the right but I have noticed that my sisters MY and MS do ride on the right with FSD and with autopilot ever so slightly to the right. I hope Tesla can see this soon.

IZ2024

Jun 28, 2024
I am writing an update for FSD 12.5 (Received 7/24/2024) SW 2024.20.10.

• I've noticed that my car has stopped favoring the right lane. While I'm not sure if this behavior is consistent across all vehicles, it is likely related to training and fine-tuning. Therefore, it's important to report any issues to Tesla as often as possible to help improve driving behavior.
  • Highway performance has greatly improved. The sudden braking in certain sections has disappeared, and the car no longer drives too fast on ramps. It seems that end-to-end mode is now enabled on the highway (previously, it was FSD V11). Overall, everything is much smoother.
  • However, it still tries to drive in the carpool lane, so this requires attention.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard