Manually turning on/off USB Type-C ports and 12V sockets

efendizade

Sep 25, 2024
After last update USB Type-C ports and 12V sockets turning off immediately when you left a car, despite of active Sentry Mode. Previously all sockets and ports worked when Sentry Mode was active. Will be right if there any settings for turning on/off manually this ports. I don't want turn off 12V socket, even some battery drain related with connected device!

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
We'd love to cover this topic in more detail. Can you tell me which model and year you have and which USB-C ports no longer have power? Do USB-A ports still have power?

gizmopilot

Sep 25, 2024
I have a 2/6/23 Model Y LR and always leave Sentry on, my 12 volt plugs always stayed on until the last software update 2024.32.3. Now they power off as soon as I shut the last door and no one is in the car. I have a bodega refrigerator/freezer and you can see the lights go out. the moment I open the back hatch the lights turn back on. I have an extension that I have run to the center console and the behavior is the same. I did not check the USB ports yet.

I'm currently using my ecoflow solar generator to keep the refrigerator powered on when I'm not near a plug.

I was about to open a service call hoping there is some setting to put the 12 volt ports back on.

efendizade

Sep 25, 2024
2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor (7 seat). I assume all Type-C ports, USB-A ports I never checked. My main problem is 12V socket in the trunk - I have mobile cellular router (Netgear Nighthawk M6500) installed and connected to 12V socket in the trunk. After last software update socket are switched off immediately when vehicle is parked and driver left the car. Before update I have used router in Performance Mode WITHOUT internal battery WITH OR WITHOUT active Sentry Mode, 12V socket turned off together with the car, when Sentry Mode was turned off. Currently using router in Performance Mode with battery, BUT battery energy not enough for 8 hours. Even with Sentry Mode on, 12V socket still turns off. I never tried to use Camp Mode, but I found so many messages, where users complain that this method also doesn't work.

I think in the next update Tesla should add manual disabling/enabling of USB ports and sockets (maybe will ad software on/off switch for each ports and socket in menu). As I understand from the messages for last month after update, so many people using this ports and sockets for connecting special devices and equipment. I understand that battery drain is important challenge, today in times of fierce competition in the local and global market, especially with the Chinese, BUT users comfort must be priority for Tesla (although I seriously doubt that the voice of users is not so important to them, than commands of a crazy boss).

Reactions: RNHurt and K.I.T.T.

Rfried4987

Sep 26, 2024
Do you know what update version you have that made this change? I do think there should be a UI option for this also. I’d personally prefer them off if sentry was enabled since I plug lights into the 12v and they stay on with Sentry which is a bit weird. They should stay on with keep camp or dog mode.

efendizade

Sep 25, 2024
Update version: 2024.32.3 After this update 12V socket turning off immediately when you park and left a car. I think there will be manual switch in menu for enabling/disabling ports when vehicle parked or Sentry Mode is active. I don't want activate Camp or Dog mode each time when I left car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240928-210006.png
    Screenshot_20240928-210006.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 4

gizmopilot

Sep 25, 2024
I have found that if you turn on the HVAC (Fan Icon) it will power on the 12 volt plugs - this will only stay on for a max of 2 hours. In my case it will top off my ecoflow solar generator that I have my refrigerator plugged into.

I did schedule a service appointment to see if they can perform some magic - perhaps if enough people schedule a service call they will add the ability to set the plugs on via the UI.

Reactions: efendizade

efendizade

Sep 25, 2024
I have found that if you turn on the HVAC (Fan Icon) it will power on the 12 volt plugs - this will only stay on for a max of 2 hours. In my case it will top off my ecoflow solar generator that I have my refrigerator plugged into.

I did schedule a service appointment to see if they can perform some magic - perhaps if enough people schedule a service call they will add the ability to set the plugs on via the UI.
Service Appointment is the good idea, but not for me. I agree if many people contact the service with this issue, maybe they will add on/off button to next update. Unfortunately I can't apply to service - firstly, we don't have a service, secondly, all requests from third countries to the Tesla US service are ignored.

gizmopilot

Sep 25, 2024
Tesla reached out and “Remotely resolved this issue” today by sending a message that is how the new software works. I sent back that the owners manual states that the plugs are powered on when the car is plugged in - They didn’t respond just closed the service request after 13 days of no response and 2 days before they were supposed to perform A mobile visit.

I’m thinking of just running a 12volt socket directly to the low voltage lithium battery in the front of the car.

Reactions: efendizade

efendizade

Sep 25, 2024
Direct connection to a low-voltage lithium-ion battery will quickly discharge this battery and create many problems. I do not exclude that the battery BMS may give an error, and if the battery is completely discharged, the car simply will not start.

The only correct solution to this problem is to get Tesla to create on/off buttons for ports and sockets in the menu. And they will do this if there are many requests and indignation from dissatisfied users, and of course without tweets to the most important person in Tesla, this cannot be done! (Only there they listen to dissatisfied users)