Discuss: The Most Requested Tesla Features

DaftWullie

Aug 28, 2024
Please ditch the blaring alarms and replace with an AI voice, such as Bitchin Betty.

The shock effect of the overly loud alarms instinctively brings your eyes to a small screen while you search for your transgression. Eyes are not on the road, where they should be. Pilots are always taught, "Fly the plane then fix the problem." Driving should be no different. A calming verbal warning works fine for civil and military aviation, it should be fine for driving as well.

Silent-Y

Aug 28, 2024
I would like to see Tesla upgrade the rear view mirror to have the option of a screen to see a rear view camera. view These are now legal as long as it also still has the mirror option. This type of mirror device would be very useful for the Cybertruck.

icubs1

Aug 28, 2024
Has anyone heard anything about the ability to set the climate controls to “constant on” while supercharging? I know there is Keep, Dog, and Camp modes, but they all allow the climate system to shut down if the doors are opened and shut multiple times. It’s miserable for passengers sitting in the car while supercharging in hot or cold weather when the system shuts down if you’re in and out of the car multiple times. Should be an override function to force the system to stay active while connected to a supercharger.

ScienceIsBetter

Aug 28, 2024
After 4 months of Tesla ownership, a few things I'd like to have/see change are:

The ability to swap the steering wheel scroll buttons (volume, song functions on the right). I like to drive with the windows down, arm out.

On the app, one tap windows cracked, 2 taps windows all the way down

Max volume on vehicle start, had this in my last car. The ability to set the volume to a certain level the next time you get in to drive.

The YouTube Music app sucks, the playlist doesn't change if you shuffle. The search is useless, and it's not intuitive. Hopefully the will refine it

The screen is huge, maybe bigger button icons

Seperate settings for auto high beam, cornering light adjustment

Reactions: ShinMath

Lui

Aug 29, 2024
Software:
- on Autopilot: adjust speed to current speed limit when limit changes form lower to higher (has worked once at some roads, doesn't anymore)
- don't assume streets without middle line being one-way roads
- intelligent learning how I drive: i.e there are some curves where tesla always alarms "lane keeping". But that’s the way I must drive that road, because its narrow
- quick win: make position of tilted mirrors (when in rear drive) saveable to drivers profile (and location)
- save highest position of trunk door based on location
- add a gesture to simple adjust fan speed
- already mentioned: adjustable regen breaking
- standby mode: I want to shut off display, fan, lights while sitting in my car by one click
- find a way for reliable speed limit recognition (with cameras or by the help of users). it's just annoying that tesla still doesn't know the correct speed limit on many roads
- don't change position of clock, temperature and speed limit in different views. it takes much more time to check these values when they are not where expected.
- and one more: recognize otherer Tesla’s and display them as tesla in correct color

Hardware:
- add more anchor points in trunk to fasten baggage

Reactions: ShinMath

getanshub4u

Aug 29, 2024
Highlighting the left/right lanes on the screen if there's a oncoming vehicle in the blind spot. This would be very helpful to check before turning on the indicators.

Reactions: joe_apxc

Joe

Aug 30, 2024
1. Google assistant support. I would like to tell Google assistant that when I leave home/work to start the car's AC
2. Autopilot resume. When Autopilot disengage, I would like to resume it on the previous speed limit it was set.
3. Roof curtain, in hot places the AC works very hard and can't really cope with the direct sun. Having a retractable curtain on the sun roof really helps to keep the can chilled.
4. Ventilated seats on tesla Y

coop

Aug 31, 2024
  1. Save settings for passenger seat based upon saved profile. If it knows which phone is the drivers, then it should know who is in the passenger seat.
  2. Pausing, or even stomping your foot, behind the trunk with the phone should open the trunk.
  3. Power frunk from the factory, model y.
  4. Tire rotation reminder.
  5. Ad hoc FSD. Most of the time I prefer to drive myself but once in a while I would like to have it for the day. Give the option for $10 for 24 hours.
  6. When towing with the model y, the car can not figure out what to show behind me.
  7. It is also very difficult to see when backing up a trailer. If you lift your butt to get a better view the car goes into park.

rmarcucc

Sep 1, 2024
Tell me when I begin to leave and do not have a phone connected to Bluetooth, to let us know we have forgotten our phone

rmarcucc

Sep 1, 2024
On navigation instead of showing round trip soc, show me SOC after I return home. This would all always show me how much charge I need to make home where I normally charge

joan

Sep 1, 2024
The 15W wireless phone charger is plenty enough. Just need to push air on it like Porsche does.
Luckily it's a super easy fix since the vent ducts are right behind. I just put a pipe in the to blow air on the phone (see pics).
Costed 60cents and an hour of my time.
Now my phone charges super fast and it's always cool.

Attachments

• PXL_20231125_153757435~2.jpg
    PXL_20231125_153757435~2.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231125_210558042.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231125_210558042.MP.jpg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231202_045959541.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231202_045959541.MP.jpg
    945.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240901-181652~2.png
    Screenshot_20240901-181652~2.png
    888.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240901-181715~4.png
    Screenshot_20240901-181715~4.png
    1,009.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240901-182438~5.png
    Screenshot_20240901-182438~5.png
    998.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
The Most Requested Features from Tesla owners, all in one big list!… Read More
Reminds me of something, was about time you did it @Not a Tesla App :)

Currently the 3 most annoying annoyances to me are:
- driving at night, you flash a car for any reason, you lose the "marvel" (seen better on our previous E-class convertible, but ok...) of matrix automatic beams, and re-enabling them while driving is even dangerous if you start fiddling with the headlight settings at high speed.
- the autopilot torque nag, unreasonably still there despite the touch-sensitive buttons on the Highland. The nag per se isn't so atrocious, but having to apply torque is just plain stupid.
- the autopilot max speed limit disable, instead of just disconnecting or warning of the speed passing before going full commando with the red steering wheel alarm

Last edited:

vadimus_ca

Aug 29, 2024
Ditch the painfully bad Google maps and rely on Vision system for lanes, speed limit etc. Or at least prioritize vision over outdated maps when there is a conflict.

Sir Watts a Lot

Jun 26, 2023
The Most Requested Features from Tesla owners, all in one big list!… Read More
Stream video and capture photos of the center screen. This can be done with the Toolbox subscription and a connection to the ethernet port, but should be available to everyone. This would help report any problems or allow drivers to review messages or alerts that may have been missed. It is important to be able to record the screen when having an intermittent problem.

gpn

Sep 6, 2024
  • Alert for mobile phone in vehicle on door unlock: This has been mentioned already, but I wanted to give top priority for this because phone is the primary vehicle key and sometimes I forget the phone in the car. I have enabled the PIN to drive so that even if someone gets in the car the PIN provides additional security. I also have to enable the lock sound which I don't prefer.
  • Blind spot: Though there is a blind spot warning when there are vehicles in the blind spot, but that shows up only when we put the indicator or we go close to the vehicle. It will be good to show the vehicle in red if it is in the blind spot.
  • Sound from multiple source: When I use spotify, I don't hear mobile phone alerts. I have to switch to bluetooth device in order to hear those alerts. Why can't there be some settings to include multiple media source.
  • Custom screen layouts: Provide way to adjust the side/rear camera size and placements, speedometer fonts and szie etc

pcc314159

Sep 8, 2024
Opening and Closing
Doors
  • Walk-Away Door Lock is a great feature… until you accidentally leave your phone on the charging pad in the car! Maybe the car could sound an alert if someone climbs out of a seat while a phone is still on the corresponding charging pad?
Seating and Safety Restraints
Seat belts
  • If I’m travelling with my dogs in the boot then any luggage has to be placed on the back seat. It is very irritating that the car then complains that the rear seat belts are not fastened, and this alert cannot be disabled. Surely the internal camera could work out that it’s a bag on the rear seat, not a person, and suppress the alarm accordingly?
Driving
Shifting
  • My previous cars sounded a regular chime while in reverse gear. I know some people hate this, but it would be good to at least have the options of “chime once on entering reverse” and “chime regularly while in reverse”.
Lights
  • If I go to the car at night in an unlit area, then I need to hunt around to find the door handle (or use a torch). Surely the car’s interior lights could come on automatically when it detects my phone key approaching?
  • My previous car allowed me to customise the number of times that the turn signals flashed when the stalk was pushed lightly (1, 3, 5, 7 or 9). Personally I find that 3 flashes isn’t enough time to complete a lane change, especially if I spend time taking advantage of the view from the blind spot camera that’s displayed on the touchscreen. I would therefore like an option to increase the number of flashes.
Park Assist
  • Distances displayed by the proximity sensors are measured in inches, but I would like them to appear in centimetres.
Active Safety Features
  • It was very surprising that safety features such as Speed Assist were not enabled by default when I collected the car. As a first-time EV driver, it takes a while to adapt to how effortlessly the car can get up to the speed limit!
  • It also takes a while to learn the meaning of the various beeps and chimes that the car makes to alert the driver to (potential) problems. Why can’t the car say actual words like “Speed” or “Lane” instead? (Or even allow every audio notification to be customised with a sound sample, like ringtones on a mobile phone.)
  • When the Active Safety Features sound certain alerts (e.g. corrective steering), it would be useful if the related Dashcam footage could be saved – then it could be reviewed later to determine exactly why the alert was triggered (since at the time of the event it is often not clear what the car is complaining about).
Speed Assist
  • Why doesn’t Speed Assist have the option of a percentage offset, like the one available with Traffic-Aware Cruise Control? I would like to be warned about my speed when it’s 10% above the active speed limit – that’s very different from picking a relative offset of (say) 5mph.
  • Speed Assist can be confused quite easily: when navigating a roundabout, it often registers the speed limit signs down one of the exits before the one that I actually take, and more generally if there are signs to indicate an upcoming speed limit then Speed Assist thinks that they apply immediately.
Using the Touchscreen
Climate Controls
  • The climate control system starts running as soon as the car “wakes” – for example, when I open the door to get in. I would like an option for the climate system not to start until the car is shifted into Drive.
Maps and Navigation
  • The map displayed on the touchscreen has no scale. I was taught that a scale is an essential part of any map.
  • I subscribe to Premium Connectivity and display satellite imagery by default. If I’m in an area with a poor mobile signal and the car is unable to fetch local satellite imagery, then the map displays a featureless grey grid instead. Surely the car should display a basic roadmap if no satellite imagery is available – at least enough to see the path of the road ahead and any junctions? Alternatively, perhaps the car could pre-cache maps along the whole of the currently-active route?
  • Whenever navigation guidance is active, I would like a permanently-visible touchscreen button for muting/unmuting spoken instructions (to avoid the need to enter the Navigation Settings menu to do this).
  • It would be useful to have a button that saves the car’s current location as a Favourite (without having to press and hold on the map).
  • There doesn’t seem to be any method for editing a Favourite (either its location or its name) - which seems like a pretty basic omission.
  • The navigation system displays and speaks distances in feet (presumably because a UK car works in miles/mph) but I’m much more familiar with the metric system so would prefer that metres be used.
  • I’ve configured the car to display the total estimated driving distance available (as opposed to the percentage of battery energy remaining). However the battery gauges shown against navigation waypoints are still measured in percent rather than miles.
  • If I manually set a preferred Supercharger location as a waypoint while Trip Planner is enabled, then the automatically-added charging locations do not update (or remove themselves, if no longer needed).
  • It would be really cool if the navigation system integrated with an online weather forecasting service, so that it could warn you about any likely rain, fog, or other complications along the route – as well as telling you the expected conditions at your destination (like when you’re on a flight).
  • If PIN to Drive is enabled, then I think it would be another useful bit of security if access to the navigation system’s “Home”, “Work” and “Favorite” locations could be blocked until the PIN has been entered. This would mean that if an opportunist thief breaks into the car, he not only cannot steal it but also cannot find out where my (likely empty) house is.
Media
  • When listening to DAB radio, programme information sometimes does not scroll if it is too long for the width of the on-screen media player. This means that the name and artist of the track being played cannot be read.
  • When playing media from my Bluetooth-connected iPhone, I have to set the volume quite high. If I subsequently switch to DAB radio, the difference in level means that I’m deafened! Unless the car can automatically compensate for the differences in level, I think that each media source (e.g. Radio and Bluetooth) should have its own independent volume control.
  • The media system starts playing as soon as the car “wakes” – for example, when I open the door to get in. I would like an option for the media system not to start until the car is shifted into Drive.
Phone, Calendar and Web Conferencing
  • Receiving SMS notifications through the touchscreen is great, but I communicate with most people through WhatsApp so seeing notifications from this app would be even better. (In fact, having all iOS notifications pop up on the car’s touchscreen would be brilliant, but I suspect that’s not possible without full CarPlay integration.)
  • When an SMS is being read out loud by the car, it would be helpful if the current media could be paused/muted.
Safety & Security Settings
  • “PIN to Drive” is a great feature, but I have to use it three times every time I leave home! (I get into the car and enter my PIN, drive down to the gates, climb out and open the gates, get back in and enter my PIN to drive through the gates, climb out and close the gates, then get back in and enter my PIN to start my actual journey.) Maybe the car could (optionally) skip the self-check and requirement for “PIN to Drive” if the phone key hasn’t gone out of range, or the car hasn’t been locked, since the PIN was last entered?
  • Related to the above, I would prefer that the car does not auto-lock or sound seatbelt alarms until its speed exceeds, say, 10mph.
Mobile App
  • In the “Controls” section of the mobile app, as well as the “Car status” area of the touchscreen, there’s an inconsistency in how states are shown. For the bonnet and boot, “Open” is shown when they are closed, because a tap will open the chosen compartment. But for the cabin, a closed padlock icon is shown when it is locked, which changes to an open padlock when the cabin is unlocked. Either the bonnet and boot should show “Closed” when closed (to match how the cabin shows “Locked” when locked), or the cabin should show “Unlock” when locked (to match how the bonnet and boot show “Open” when closed).
  • When looking at the app straight after an overnight charge, it might say “200 miles added during last charging session”. Looking at the app again a while later, the figure shows something less (e.g. “195 miles added during last charging session”) due to standby power usage (Sentry etc.). Strictly speaking this wording is inaccurate – it’s still the case that 200 miles were added during the last charging session, but some of those have been lost since then.
(to be continued)

pcc314159

Sep 8, 2024
(part 2)

Charging
Charging Instructions
  • The owner’s manual states that “Whenever Model Y is plugged in but not actively charging, it draws energy from the wall outlet instead of using energy stored in the Battery.” but I’m not convinced that this is the case when Scheduled Charging is enabled (i.e. the Tesla Wall Connector is showing a blue light). If I turn on the climate control system remotely while my car is still plugged into its charger, then there’s no sign that power is coming from the charger and the total estimated driving distance available reduces in the time between enabling climate control and unplugging the car.
  • Superchargers are becoming noticeably busier, and when all stalls are in use there is no queuing system so that everyone gets a turn in the right order. Surely a “virtual queue” could operate, with a system noting the order in which cars arrive and then telling their owners “you’re next” as a stall becomes available. (I know some people would ignore the system and barge in, but that’s the same with any queue…)
Hardware
These things can’t be fixed with over-the-air updates, but I thought them worth mentioning nonetheless:
  • Every previous car that I have owned had an interior grab-handle above each door. Older relatives find these handles invaluable when getting in or out of a car, so it is unfortunate that Tesla has omitted these from its design.
  • The rear window is very small and has no wiper, so visibility is poor at the best of times, and almost zero when it’s covered in rain with no way to clear it.
  • The car’s turning circle is disappointing.
  • Finally the doozy, and the single biggest reason why I’d think twice about buying another Tesla: the suspension! Driving along a smooth highway is fine, but as soon as I start travelling less-well-maintained roads, I can feel every little bump and dip in the surface, never mind the potholes and sunken/raised ironworks that pepper UK roads. For a luxury car that’s positioned in the SUV segment of the market, it can be an astonishingly uncomfortable ride (worse than my wife’s Toyota which cost half the price) and when carrying passengers the hard ride often makes me feel embarrassed rather than proud.