Discuss: Tesla Says 12V Power Socket Access Will Not Return

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
While Sentry will NOT be active with this workaround, the car's power sockets remain powered. While this workaround is fine to use occasionally, it’ll be tiresome for those who use a fridge regularly.

You can also use Keep Mode and:

• Set the A/C to OFF so the vehicle doesn't try to cool the cabin
  • Set the temperature to LO so the vehicle doesn't try to heat the cabin
  • Set the fan speed to 1

This will allow you to use Sentry Mode.

We’re still hoping Tesla considers bringing the Cybertruck’s Power Control menu to the rest of its vehicles and is somehow able to limit the max draw from these outlets to prevent dangerous situations.

The power outlets already limit power. If you exceed 16 amps, they turn off and stay off until the vehicle goes to sleep and wakes up again.

Reactions: RNHurt

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
this change is a crock. I'm sorry but if ur stupid enough to try powering a microwave from your cars 12volt socket, then you got what's coming to you. why penalize everyone one else that is using it appropriately. I really like Tesla but this is craziness. Only way I see around this is sealed 12volt battery in the trunk with a step down converter to charge the battery while the vehicle is powered on to recharge the battery then the fridge runs off the battery while vehicle is powered down.

Last edited:
Reactions: K.I.T.T.

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
A $20 cooler with a $5 bag of ice is a lot less expensive than a refrigerator/freezer that runs off of 12 volts.

I see people using these 12-volt refrigerators inside hot cars and...even worse...inside the enclosed trunk where they can't get ventilation.

Also, there is a proliferation of low-quality phone chargers, inverters, flashlights, fans, and other gadgets that plug into 12-volt outlets. When these overheat and catch fire, EV haters blame the EV.

I don't blame Tesla at all for making this change - I am surprised the power outlets were ever powered when no one was in the vehicle in the first place.

The last automobiles I remember that left the "cigarette lighters" powered on while the "ignition" was off domestic brands in the 1980s and earlier. Since then, they've switch on and off with the ignition.

Reactions: K.I.T.T. and RNHurt

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
A $20 cooler with a $5 bag of ice is a lot less expensive than a refrigerator/freezer that runs off of 12 volts.

I see people using these 12-volt refrigerators inside hot cars and...even worse...inside the enclosed trunk where they can't get ventilation.

Also, there is a proliferation of low-quality phone chargers, inverters, flashlights, fans, and other gadgets that plug into 12-volt outlets. When these overheat and catch fire, EV haters blame the EV.

I don't blame Tesla at all for making this change - I am surprised the power outlets were ever powered when no one was in the vehicle in the first place.

The last automobiles I remember that left the "cigarette lighters" powered on while the "ignition" was off domestic brands in the 1980s and earlier. Since then, they've switch on and off with the ignition.
the fridge I'm running stays very cool and power draw is negligible, with cabin overheat protection the interior of my model y is seldom over 100 degrees. I work in electronics so these are things I understand well.

Reactions: bernieo

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
You may have the coolest, lowest-power, and safest refrigerator on the planet and always use Cabin Overheat Protection, but the next person might not and they might have a fire. Tesla has no way of guaranteeing the quality of 12-volt accessories that their vehicles are used to power.

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
You may have the coolest, lowest-power, and safest refrigerator on the planet and always use Cabin Overheat Protection, but the next person might not and they might have a fire. Tesla has no way of guaranteeing the quality of 12-volt accessories that their vehicles are used to power.
granted, however if we try to do everything to prevent stupidity we will in the end of nothing. you can't fix stupid. there is a reason that we all pay for insurance or at least everyone should, but again, not everyone does even though it's the law of the land. regardless, I'm working on a solution to my problem as some of what stays in my fridge is medications that have to stay cold. I'm on the road a lot but even so, the fridge needs to continue to run when I'm not driving and to use camp mode is crazy to as now you disable ur security system.

bernieo

Oct 8, 2024
granted, however if we try to do everything to prevent stupidity we will in the end of nothing. you can't fix stupid. there is a reason that we all pay for insurance or at least everyone should, but again, not everyone does even though it's the law of the land. regardless, I'm working on a solution to my problem as some of what stays in my fridge is medications that have to stay cold. I'm on the road a lot but even so, the fridge needs to continue to run when I'm not driving and to use camp mode is crazy to as now you disable ur security system.

I'm in a similar situation. If you come up with a solution, please share. For now, I've just purchased a Jackery 300 ($169 on Amazon Prime Day Deal).

My plan is to keep the Jackery plugged into the 12V trunk outlet 24/7, and the refrig (BougeRV 12 V Car Fridge 23 Quart) plugged into the Jackery.

I don't know much about electronics, but hope the Tesla charges the Jackery when the outlet has juice, and the Jackery keeps the refrig running 24/7.

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
I'm in a similar situation. If you come up with a solution, please share. For now, I've just purchased a Jackery 300 ($169 on Amazon Prime Day Deal).

My plan is to keep the Jackery plugged into the 12V trunk outlet 24/7, and the refrig (BougeRV 12 V Car Fridge 23 Quart) plugged into the Jackery.

I don't know much about electronics, but hope the Tesla charges the Jackery when the outlet has juice, and the Jackery keeps the refrig running 24/7.
I have some 12 agm batteries that came out of a couple mobility scooters when I upgraded them to lithium that I plan to use and fit perfectly into the side compartment of the sub trunk area. I'm working on finding the best way to do a step down conversion from the 16 volt system from the rear socket to the 13.8 that is necessary to charge the batteries. doing this way will charge the battery that the fridge runs on when the car is on but will keep the fridge running at all times.

bernieo

Oct 8, 2024
sunshine200837. It looks like you've got a very creative solution! Let us know how it works out.

As for me and my Jackery solution, I suspect it won't work quite the way I want it to (having never owned a Jackery :)). Here in the northeast (CT), winter is coming, so keeping a car refrig cold will be easier for now.

• Haha
Reactions: RNHurt

lizzyt

Oct 14, 2024
sunshine200837. It looks like you've got a very creative solution! Let us know how it works out.

As for me and my Jackery solution, I suspect it won't work quite the way I want it to (having never owned a Jackery :)). Here in the northeast (CT), winter is coming, so keeping a car refrig cold will be easier for now.
I also have a Jackery that I would like to uses similarly. The concern here in houston is running a jackery in a hot parked car in the Houston heat. Electronics guys, can you weigh in on this?

bernieo

Oct 8, 2024
I'm no electronics expert, but I think the Houston heat could be a problem. I googled the Jackery and got the following: "Jackery power stations have an operating temperature of 14–104°F and a recharging temperature of 32–104°F".

I assume the solution to the Houston heat and a Jackery/EcoFlow would be to keep Cabin Overheat Protection on to be safe. That's what I will do in summer heat.

I'm not using a Jackery but decided on an EcoFlow River 2 portable power station. The price and power is about the same, but the EcoFlow has two big advantages over the Jackery for me.

- EcoFlow uses the newer Lifepo4 Battery.
- EcoFlow has a fantastic iPhone app that allow me to monitor and change settings via Bluetooth or WiFi.

I can monitor activity without having to open the trunk to see what's going on with EcoFlow and BougeRV 12 Volt Refrigerator. I can tell if/when it's charging and being charged, battery % and time left, output voltage, etc.. It even has some 'automation' features that allow me to not charge the refrig at certain times if I want. In my case, I've decided to turn off charging the refrig between 11PM and 5AM daily.

The EcoFlow stays plugged into the Tesla trunk 12V 24/7 and the refrig stays plugged into the EcoFlow 12V output 24/7. When I'm in the car I can monitor activity via the app, and see that the EcoFlow is being charged and/or charging the refrig. When not in car, I can see that that the EcoFlow is not being charged, etc.

So, far so good for the few days I've had it. The EcoFlow battery gets down to around 50% by morning. But, normal daily driving charges it back up to the 90% and above. I charge my 2024 MYLR to 80% daily overnight, and it's still at 80% in the morning with EcoFlow plugged in 24/7.