Discuss: Tesla Changes Free Color Option, Pearl White Gets the Boot for the Model 3 and Y

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022

EdThompson

Jul 7, 2023
I ordered my LR with Deep Blue in February. Makes me sound a little shallow but I’m glad that isn’t the new default color. I see a lot of Blue Model Y’s but a whole lot more White ones, and I like having a little bit more rare color so I’m glad that they picked silver for the new default.

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
I ordered my LR with Deep Blue in February. Makes me sound a little shallow but I’m glad that isn’t the new default color. I see a lot of Blue Model Y’s but a whole lot more White ones, and I like having a little bit more rare color so I’m glad that they picked silver for the new default.

I hear what you're saying. I purchased a new 2020 MY and had one of the first Tesla's in my area of town. It was white (of course) but that was OK because there were so few around that I still felt special. Now, there are tons of Tesla's in my area (which is a good thing) but most of them are white so that special feeling went away. The good news is that I traded (up?) to a 2020 MX in blue. I love the MX and the blue kinda sets it apart.

Bonus Fact: the day that I brought home my blue MX I spotted another blue MX in a driveway on my street! WFT!?!? Lol!

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
You can do some small things to make your car distinguishable - remove & / or replace badging with blacked out badges. All kinds of wheel covers are available now for stock wheels ( I have Rimetrix covers on my Y). Or go big and get new wheels & wraps :) .

We also have some Futurama and Bob's Burgers stickers on the back of our screens which makes it easy to tell our cars at crowded superchargers.

EdThompson

Jul 7, 2023
I hear what you're saying. I purchased a new 2020 MY and had one of the first Tesla's in my area of town. It was white (of course) but that was OK because there were so few around that I still felt special. Now, there are tons of Tesla's in my area (which is a good thing) but most of them are white so that special feeling went away. The good news is that I traded (up?) to a 2020 MX in blue. I love the MX and the blue kinda sets it apart.

Bonus Fact: the day that I brought home my blue MX I spotted another blue MX in a driveway on my street! WFT!?!? Lol!
I live in Nebraska, and until early 2022 it was unusual to see any Tesla anywhere, even in Omaha or Lincoln, the two biggest cities. Omaha still doesn't have a working Tesla Supercharging station, although there is one physically built, the city is evidently dragging their feet on some licensing permit or the other so the station isn't open.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
You can do some small things to make your car distinguishable - remove & / or replace badging with blacked out badges. All kinds of wheel covers are available now for stock wheels ( I have Rimetrix covers on my Y). Or go big and get new wheels & wraps :) .
I was going to pillar delete kit, which makes the car look like it has a black top. However, I sold the car before I could make it happen.

Slightly related question about wrap. If you wrap just a small piece of your car, does the other paint fade over time? So when you take off the wrap you can see the car's suntan lines?

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I was going to pillar delete kit, which makes the car look like it has a black top. However, I sold the car before I could make it happen.

Slightly related question about wrap. If you wrap just a small piece of your car, does the other paint fade over time? So when you take off the wrap you can see the car's suntan lines?
Good question, from what I’ve seen wraps cover the whole car to change the color. If you did a pillar delete that would only be partial so that COULD be an issue.

Reactions: RNHurt