Discuss: 2024.20.1 Release Notes (Updated)

Procal

Jun 12, 2024
This isn't full matrix support like it's available in Europe, but it appears to be the start of supporting adaptive headlights in North America.
My mistake, what I meant was that the title of the news story you guys posted seemed a bit misleading to me. The title is currently "Tesla Matrix Headlight Support Arrives in the U.S. and Canada With Update 2024.20", which would lead a lot of people to believe that actual full matrix support had arrived and was rolling out. Maybe a better title would have been "Tesla teases matrix headlight support in North American market with new functionality", but obviously this is all just my opinion.

Reactions: Not a Tesla App

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
My mistake, what I meant was that the title of the news story you guys posted seemed a bit misleading to me. The title is currently "Tesla Matrix Headlight Support Arrives in the U.S. and Canada With Update 2024.20", which would lead a lot of people to believe that actual full matrix support had arrived and was rolling out. Maybe a better title would have been "Tesla teases matrix headlight support in North American market with new functionality", but obviously this is all just my opinion.
Yes, you’re right. In hindsight the title was overly optimistic. The article was based on a post Tesla released on adaptive headlights adapting to curves in the road in the US and Canada. Now that we’ve seen a side by side video, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. However, now that we have our first update for adaptive headlights in the US, we’ll hopefully continue to see improvements like there have been in Europe, where they’ve already added three or four features for matrix headlights.

It’s worth noting that matrix headlight support isn’t just on or off, but Tesla is adding different capabilities over time, like adapting to curves, keeping your high beams on longer, etc.

Procal

Jun 12, 2024
Yes, you’re right. In hindsight the title was overly optimistic. The article was based on a post Tesla released on adaptive headlights adapting to curves in the road in the US and Canada. Now that we’ve seen a side by side video, the implementation leaves a lot to be desired. However, now that we have our first update for adaptive headlights in the US, we’ll hopefully continue to see improvements like there have been in Europe, where they’ve already added three or four features for matrix headlights.

It’s worth noting that matrix headlight support isn’t just on or off, but Tesla is adding different capabilities over time, like adapting to curves, keeping your high beams on longer, etc.
Oh! That's cool, I wasn't aware that they added functionality in that way to them. I'm new to owning a Tesla and only recently stumbled on your website through a YouTube video. It honestly was a bit of a let-down to see that full matrix support wasn't implemented, but I still do greatly appreciate the feature they did add. My hope is that we may see full matrix support before the summer ends.

I do have one question, what is keeping them from enabling it altogether? I know that they are trying to get them approved for use with the new regulations, but is there any information on what specifically is preventing them from enabling the feature? Furthermore, I can't seem to find anything as to what part of the new regulation would prevent them from being enabled. Likewise, I think I've also heard of Tesla in the past just enabling a feature and then dealing with the legislation afterward, why is this different?

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Oh! That's cool, I wasn't aware that they added functionality in that way to them. I'm new to owning a Tesla and only recently stumbled on your website through a YouTube video. It honestly was a bit of a let-down to see that full matrix support wasn't implemented, but I still do greatly appreciate the feature they did add. My hope is that we may see full matrix support before the summer ends.

I do have one question, what is keeping them from enabling it altogether? I know that they are trying to get them approved for use with the new regulations, but is there any information on what specifically is preventing them from enabling the feature? Furthermore, I can't seem to find anything as to what part of the new regulation would prevent them from being enabled. Likewise, I think I've also heard of Tesla in the past just enabling a feature and then dealing with the legislation afterward, why is this different?
The US now allows matrix headlights, but my understanding is that the implementation isn't the same as Europe, so Tesla can't just take what they've done there and apply it in North America. Each feature needs to be programmed separately, such as dimming/turning off LEDs for oncoming cars, or turning others on around turns, etc.

We're unlikely to see an implementation this summer given that matrix headlights have been available on some Teslas for years. However, baby steps would still be very welcomed.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Still, how can be matrix different from country to country? I mean, besides parts of the world "driving on the wrong side" (joking), how can it be so different? Anyway, for once EU came first. We're always the last market for Tesla. I'm still on .14, curious to see what I will get. I bet on today's cycle 😂