Purple Streetlights Are Seen As Green Traffic Lights

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
Has anyone noticed that failing / failed LED street lights are showing up as green traffic lights in the binnacle? I'm not sure if this a recent thing or not because the LED street lights near just started failing. As you might know, some LED lights have a phosphor coating that causes blue LED diodes to emit white light. When this coating fails (flakes off, fades, etc.) the light becomes more and more blueish / purple.

This started happening in my area a couple of months ago and now quite a few street lights around me are purple. The interesting part is that a lot of our intersections now have street lights positioned at each corner for pedestrian crossing safety. This means that my 2020 MX sees extra traffic lights that are "green" at almost every intersection. 😱

I haven't had FSD engaged at night very much so I don't know what it will do. Will it go ahead and barge through the intersection because it has a "green" light? Will it get confused and never go? Will it be able to figure out which light is "real"? Is this just a display thing and FSD really doesn't see the lights as "green"? I'll update this post if I figure it out.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
I was thinking something similar by noticing that very often on the display I see braking lights when there are no lights at all, possibly due to reflections (and, off topic: why don't our cars have the center braking light on the screen rendering but other rendered cars have it even if in reality they physically don't - e.g. large transport trucks?!), and was wondering what FSD would do. Would it brake as a precaution or just take the speed as a reference?
But another light mistaken for green... well that's another level. I already reported that in Milan there are a couple of squares where my car picks up a green... that's not for me.

Reactions: RNHurt

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
How do you report things like this while in FSD? Is there a magic voice phrase or a button to push somewhere?

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Have no idea. I read in the past that voice control would do something but the country support denied it.

Oct 17, 2023
California
How do you report things like this while in FSD? Is there a magic voice phrase or a button to push somewhere?
Usually in FSD when you disengage it will say “autopilot disengaged? What happened?” And then you can record a voice note. Not sure if that shows up in a 2020 MX.😁

Reactions: RNHurt