Portable wifi hotspot for Software Updates to my M3 Highland

gingerbrown

Jun 10, 2024
I don't want to mess around with connecting my iPhone hotspot, so I would prefer to get a device I can leave permanently in the car to handle SW updates as & when they turn up.

I have really good 5G on my road, where the car will be parked each night. I'd like to charge the device by USB-C & store it next to the USB connection.

Has anyone done this successfully?

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
I tried once by leaving a hotspot in the central armrest, it powered off. Perhaps there are other always-on ports, but that one sure wasn't. Before I moved it to a wifi covered garage, I used to drive it on phone hotspot when there was a software update. Or else I would leave the hotspot inside only when I knew it was required. Once I even left the phone in the armrest and closed the doors with the magnetic card.

gingerbrown

Jun 10, 2024
Thanks for sharing your experience K.I.T.T. This is really helpful to know! A 5g hotspot would need to be always on to replicate what a wifi connection from my house (which is too far away from where I park to work) would provide to the software update process...

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Thanks for sharing your experience K.I.T.T. This is really helpful to know! A 5g hotspot would need to be always on to replicate what a wifi connection from my house (which is too far away from where I park to work) would provide to the software update process...
But you don't need it always on, like we get daily updates or like there is another reason to get a faster connection than the car's for anything that is not software updates... even 5g would be limited probably by the onboard wifi hardware. enough if you put it in when you get the occasional notification by the app.