Just got 2024.20.1 but no adaptive headlines in settings on my Mega Austin 2023 MYLR?!?!

sesullivan

Apr 15, 2024
I was disappointed that there is no setting under lights for adaptive headlights in my US Mega Austin 2023 MYLR. Anyone else in the US getting the adaptive headlight option?

Procal

Jun 12, 2024
No, you aren't the only one. I received the 2024.20.1 update a few days ago, and immediately went out on some dark roads to test it. There is no adaptive headlight feature being enabled on any model Tesla in the US, at least. What they added was the ability for the headlights to turn in the direction you are turning to better illuminate the road ahead of you. Other than that, it is still just regular auto high beams with the added feature of following curves. I tested this in my 2024 Tesla Model 3 LR (highland).

Reactions: sesullivan

sesullivan

Apr 15, 2024
No, you aren't the only one. I received the 2024.20.1 update a few days ago, and immediately went out on some dark roads to test it. There is no adaptive headlight feature being enabled on any model Tesla in the US, at least. What they added was the ability for the headlights to turn in the direction you are turning to better illuminate the road ahead of you. Other than that, it is still just regular auto high beams with the added feature of following curves. I tested this in my 2024 Tesla Model 3 LR (highland).
I can't find the adaptive setting in lights settings to enable this feature in my 2023 MYLR? Do you have it in yours? From the release notes:

"Headlights now adapt for curves in the road ahead for greater visibility in low lighting.
Enable this feature in your vehicle settings at Lights > Adaptive Headlights."

Procal

Jun 12, 2024
I can't find the adaptive setting in lights settings to enable this feature in my 2023 MYLR? Do you have it in yours? From the release notes:

"Headlights now adapt for curves in the road ahead for greater visibility in low lighting.
Enable this feature in your vehicle settings at Lights > Adaptive Headlights."
If you are on update 2024.20.1 then it should be under the light settings. It will be labeled exactly as described with the description "Auto high beam and the ability to adapt to curves in the road", or something along those lines. At least that is how it shows up on my 2024 Model 3 LR. If you aren't able to see this, maybe it hasn't been enabled for your vehicle model yet, or you can try reinstalling the update by going into the service menu. Be warned, going into the service menu is risky and if you don't know what you are doing you should just schedule a mobile service appointment if possible.

sesullivan

Apr 15, 2024
If you are on update 2024.20.1 then it should be under the light settings. It will be labeled exactly as described with the description "Auto high beam and the ability to adapt to curves in the road", or something along those lines. At least that is how it shows up on my 2024 Model 3 LR. If you aren't able to see this, maybe it hasn't been enabled for your vehicle model yet, or you can try reinstalling the update by going into the service menu. Be warned, going into the service menu is risky and if you don't know what you are doing you should just schedule a mobile service appointment if possible.
It must not be enabled in the MYLR yet. Adaptive headlights are something I would *really* like.

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
An Austin-built 2023 Model Y Long Range does not have adaptive headlights. They are not adaptive and do not swivel sideways. The only movement they have is vertically to manually adjust for height.

sesullivan

Apr 15, 2024
An Austin-built 2023 Model Y Long Range does not have adaptive headlights. They are not adaptive and do not swivel sideways. The only movement they have is vertically to manually adjust for height.
I must disagree. Without matrix headlights my car could not project the word "TESLA" on the wall with the light show toy. Mine can.

"To usher in the new headlights for the Model 3 and Model Y and have a bit of fun at the same time, the V11 “Holiday Update” in 2021 included a feature called the ‘Light Show’, a small light show set to music using its headlights, taillights, cabin lights, and another lighting. The lights were able to make different lighting patterns and project the word ‘Tesla’ onto a wall."

https://rechargd.com/which-tesla-has-matrix-led-headlights/

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
My 2023 Model Y Long Range built in Austin in April 2023 does NOT have matrix headlights. At that time, Fremont was using them in the Model Y Long Range, but Austin was not. According to information submitted to the IIHS by Tesla, only the 2023 Model Y Performance trim was intended to have matrix headlights. All 2024 Model Ys have them.

Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Haven't had the chance for a proper night testing. For those who did, do they swivel horizontally (like most cars I had) or are they activating side pixels for cornering? I would expect them to work either way, not necessarily expecting the beam to angle in the curve, like traditional motorized headlights.

Oct 17, 2023
California
Haven't had the chance for a proper night testing. For those who did, do they swivel horizontally (like most cars I had) or are they activating side pixels for cornering? I would expect them to work either way, not necessarily expecting the beam to angle in the curve, like traditional motorized headlights.
Same, I haven’t had a proper test of them. Has anyone done a test?

Budzique

May 2, 2024
In my testing, it seems like they are using pixels of the matrix, it's hard to notice and only seems to work below highway speeds. I have a curvy neighborhood road, it basically seems to just move the hotspot slightly with the wheel about 10-15 degrees and feels more like a gimmick
-Joe
2022 M3LR

zroger73

Jun 3, 2024
I had a 2019 RDX that illuminated one of the 7 LEDs in each headlight in a turn for its adaptive headlight function. The effect was unnoticeable to me.

I have a 2019 MX-5 Miata with headlights that swivel in a turn - the result is very noticeable and very effective.