FSD 12.5 Issues

henri360

Aug 1, 2024
I just finished a 2915.3 mile trip from Wallace, North Carolina to Concord, California (I drove to NC on 12.4) yesterday on FSD 12.5 in my 2024 Model X:

The FSD 12.5 unexpectedly drops speed from the set MAX speed without the numbers (Speed limit; MAX speed) indicated in the car actually changing. There were no other vehicles present. There were no apparent objects in the road or adjacent to the Highway. Why?

The FSD 12.5 on State Highway 40 in North Carolina would not hold the set MAX Speed dialed. It the car would not accelerate to the set MAX Speed or even to the indicated Speed Limit. The speed consistently remained at least 5 m.p.h. below the Speed Limit of the highway and when forced by accelerator to the MAX Speed set, it would decelerate when the accelerator was released in FSD 12.5. Why?

I found that using the accelerator pedal to slowly increase and hold the "set" Max Speed, I could gently release the accelerator and FSD would then hold the MAX Speed setting.

In Georgia, on an Interstate Highway, FSD 12.4 and 12.5 seemed to read the "MINIMUM SPEED sign" (40 m.p.h.) and immediately drop speed from the Speed Limit of 70 m.p.h. down to the 40 m.p.h. Why?

Even on Interstate Highway 5, in California, FSD 12.4 would suddenly drop the speed limit of 70 down to 55 m.p.h., yet the actual signage on the highway did not change the speed limit.. FSD 12.5 did this too. Why?

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
I just finished a 2915.3 mile trip from Wallace, North Carolina to Concord, California (I drove to NC on 12.4) yesterday on FSD 12.5 in my 2024 Model X:

The FSD 12.5 unexpectedly drops speed from the set MAX speed without the numbers (Speed limit; MAX speed) indicated in the car actually changing. There were no other vehicles present. There were no apparent objects in the road or adjacent to the Highway. Why?

The FSD 12.5 on State Highway 40 in North Carolina would not hold the set MAX Speed dialed. It the car would not accelerate to the set MAX Speed or even to the indicated Speed Limit. The speed consistently remained at least 5 m.p.h. below the Speed Limit of the highway and when forced by accelerator to the MAX Speed set, it would decelerate when the accelerator was released in FSD 12.5. Why?

I found that using the accelerator pedal to slowly increase and hold the "set" Max Speed, I could gently release the accelerator and FSD would then hold the MAX Speed setting.

In Georgia, on an Interstate Highway, FSD 12.4 and 12.5 seemed to read the "MINIMUM SPEED sign" (40 m.p.h.) and immediately drop speed from the Speed Limit of 70 m.p.h. down to the 40 m.p.h. Why?

Even on Interstate Highway 5, in California, FSD 12.4 would suddenly drop the speed limit of 70 down to 55 m.p.h., yet the actual signage on the highway did not change the speed limit.. FSD 12.5 did this too. Why?
I've had pretty much the same experience. 12.5 is great in the city, but not so great on long rural highways. If it doesn't pick up a speed limit change, it may be trying drive for miles at speeds much lower than the surrounding traffic. Regardless of the speed limit it picks up, your speed tends to drift down, down until 5 mph below the limit. In the city it doesn't have the time to show this in my experience. I was nudging it back up to 68mph (in a 65 zone) over and over for miles to stay in front of the 66mph truck I had passed earlier.

And yes, this is 12.5. It doesn't switch to the highway stack on rural roads, even multilane ones with 65mph limits.

I've had my issues with the 11 stack on Interstates, but it's mostly steady and predictable now. I've not had phantom braking since last year. I have seen speed limit changes on Interstates that are very annoying as everyone else ignores the slower zone until it expires by continuing at the same speed. These were signed changes though - just normally ignored by the flow of traffic.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I've seen this as well on state highways (Think 169 and 69) where the 65 MPH speed limit isn't picked up. I just use the other setting, where you set the car to go 110% of the posted SL. Then you can scroll up to 70. On I17 the car did fine with reading 75 MPH signs, but occasionally read the temp construction signs as 55. So again, use the other speed setting and adjust via scroll wheel. Keep an eye on the SL though!
I'm NOT impressed with the auto MAX setting for speed, WAY TOO FAST at times on 35 MPH roads. I really miss being able to set to +5MPH :(

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
I've seen this as well on state highways (Think 169 and 69) where the 65 MPH speed limit isn't picked up. I just use the other setting, where you set the car to go 110% of the posted SL. Then you can scroll up to 70. On I17 the car did fine with reading 75 MPH signs, but occasionally read the temp construction signs as 55. So again, use the other speed setting and adjust via scroll wheel. Keep an eye on the SL though!
I'm NOT impressed with the auto MAX setting for speed, WAY TOO FAST at times on 35 MPH roads. I really miss being able to set to +5MPH :(
I finally found out that turning off the Auto speed offset brings a measure of sanity to the speed issues. I drove to Wickieup with Auto enabled, and it was tedious. Turned off the Auto setting, and most of the issues were gone. And without the Auto setting, the scroll wheel functionality returns, so I can adjust speed there, up or down.

I've never seen the car read a sign of any kind, nor have I read that it is supposed to. I think all of its speed limits are picked up via GPS mapping data. I see that when I-17 gets closed around my area (happening a lot this summer for diamond grinding and restriping), my nav routing gets screwy as the car tries to avoid the local road closures on my way home. (The 'local traffic only' type of closure. These happen on the weekends, and my nav updates accordingly, except once I think a road closure didn't get cleared for a week and showed Dove Valley as closed when it wasn't.)

On the way west on highway 74 today, I drove by three 65mph signs in about 4 miles, and none of them were seen. Car thought limit was 55mph. Fortunately it picked up the correct speed limit around Lake Pleasant this time.

Once I got FSD speeds under control, it was a pleasure to have the car drive us all the way to Wickieup and back. 234 miles, took 97% of the battery, and about 1/3rd of that was for climate. I took over a few times, mostly to get more aggressive in traffic, but twice west of Wickenburg along a new divided-highway section. On the way through one of the roundabouts, the car tried to take the wrong exit. It was trying to drive onto the old section of highway (now like a frontage road) until the next roundabout, then get back on to the new road. Nav stuff like that happens too much. We need mapping updates more often.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I finally found out that turning off the Auto speed offset brings a measure of sanity to the speed issues. I drove to Wickieup with Auto enabled, and it was tedious. Turned off the Auto setting, and most of the issues were gone. And without the Auto setting, the scroll wheel functionality returns, so I can adjust speed there, up or down.

I've never seen the car read a sign of any kind, nor have I read that it is supposed to. I think all of its speed limits are picked up via GPS mapping data. I see that when I-17 gets closed around my area (happening a lot this summer for diamond grinding and restriping), my nav routing gets screwy as the car tries to avoid the local road closures on my way home. (The 'local traffic only' type of closure. These happen on the weekends, and my nav updates accordingly, except once I think a road closure didn't get cleared for a week and showed Dove Valley as closed when it wasn't.)

On the way west on highway 74 today, I drove by three 65mph signs in about 4 miles, and none of them were seen. Car thought limit was 55mph. Fortunately it picked up the correct speed limit around Lake Pleasant this time.

Once I got FSD speeds under control, it was a pleasure to have the car drive us all the way to Wickieup and back. 234 miles, took 97% of the battery, and about 1/3rd of that was for climate. I took over a few times, mostly to get more aggressive in traffic, but twice west of Wickenburg along a new divided-highway section. On the way through one of the roundabouts, the car tried to take the wrong exit. It was trying to drive onto the old section of highway (now like a frontage road) until the next roundabout, then get back on to the new road. Nav stuff like that happens too much. We need mapping updates more often.
The car does read speed sign, but the GPS stuff is used too. It's confusing but when you go by a SL sign you'll see it rendered unless it gets blocked by a truck or something else big.
What you saw on 74 is what I saw on HWY 69 & 169- it doesn't render or respond to the 65MPH signs on State Routes. Strange.
If you're using 1/3 for climate something is way wrong with your car! That's what it displayed on the energy app in the car?
Yes, map updates would be nice! One weird thing that happened at Frontier Village (a large strip shopping center on tribal land surrounded by Prescott)- the car mapped a way out of the lot where the last part of it had been changed for years. You used to be able to go straight through to an exit street on to the highway. There's a large sign there now and curb, my car acted like it was going to hop the curb and hit the huge sign! So I intervened, then re-engaged FSD and the car figured out that it had to turn left and go out the parking lot exit a few hundred yards away to get on to that road. A strange combo of being dumb and then smart. Go figure!

Reactions: crazyoleman

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
My math was wrong - more like 1/6 battery for climate. Unfortunately I didn't set a trip meter for this trip for review, but on my previous trip (86 miles), I used 35% of my battery with 29.4% for driving and 4.9% for climate.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
Actually, my math may not have been wrong after all! Today I did a 25 mile loop around north Phoenix, and I saw temps from 112F to 115F. The car was set to 71F, and it got quite comfortable, even though I have no extra tinting or sun shades.

I took a picture of the energy screen on the car so I had the correct data. Brutal heat in the desert is a HUGE drain on the battery.

Stats: 25.1 miles, 12% battery consumption. Which seems pretty high, especially as my speeds were mostly around 45 mph, or slower. The breakdown tells it all.

Driving: 6.7%
Climate: 4.4
%
Everything else: 0.9%

Tesla says I used 1.3% less than anticipated for driving (i was going slow, and there was a long 25mph construction zone.). It also says I used 4.0% more than expected for climate. That tells me that Tesla needs to incorporate hot temperatures into the range estimates.

It's a situation that gets a bit hard to predict, as the slower you go, the more cost you have for cooling, but the faster you go, the more cost you have for driving.

So I'm thinking that on my 104F, 234 mile round trip to Wickieup, it may well have used 2/3rds for driving and 1/3rd for climate.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
The car does read speed sign, but the GPS stuff is used too. It's confusing but when you go by a SL sign you'll see it rendered unless it gets blocked by a truck or something else big.
Today I saw evidence that the car indeed reads speed limit signs under some circumstances, but it might still be that there is a speed limit tied to GPS data.

I came west on Sonoran Parkway, normally 45mph for about 7 miles with a few passing lanes. About half of this stretch is covered with construction cones and a 25mph limit. There were also orange flags on the 25mph limit signs to get your attention.

As I approached the first sign - for 35mph - the car showed speed limit 35. Shortly thereafter I came to a 25mph sign, and the car showed that one too. FSD on Auto Max didn't slow from 49mph, so I turned off Auto Speed and it dropped to 28mph.

So far the car might have picked up speed limits by passing certain spots where GPS set a temp limit. But then came the interesting part.

At one point I had a 25mph temp speed limit sign in front of the old 45mph sign - I saw the car's display flickering back and forth between 25 and 45, though the car never did change speeds. I don't think GPS data would have caused a fluctuation like there - in 2 seconds, it flicked back and forth 2-3 times. Then there was another 25mph sign after the 45 one, and the car settled on 25 for the speed limit.

I noticed that the latest software revision .26 has a vision-based speed limit option now, but it only applies to Europe. Probably because of better signage standardization.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
12.5.1.1 didn't seem to improve anything that I could see on a trip out to the warehouse where I work. In fact, it didn't move over to the left lane before the left turn off HWY 69 like it used to in time and went right past my turn off. Still routed around the block to get home vs just turning left. What it did, it did well still. If that makes sense.

Reactions: EdinEPTX

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
12.5.1.1 didn't seem to improve anything that I could see on a trip out to the warehouse where I work. In fact, it didn't move over to the left lane before the left turn off HWY 69 like it used to in time and went right past my turn off. Still routed around the block to get home vs just turning left. What it did, it did well still. If that makes sense.
I did another test last night to see if 12.5.1.1 was consistently better at coming in through my gate, which automatically opens (via homelink) when you get close enough to the gate. This time I maybe did 1% better than before in approaching, waiting and then going through the open gates. It's clearly not great at that job. It will wait for the gate to open, but then it's very unsure when to move forward. I usually give it some juice to get moving sooner.

The only other possible change I've noticed is on a tricky right turn involving reducing from 2 lanes to 1 and a bicycle lane. I've only done this twice under 12.5.1.1, but both times were perfect, and those are the only perfect times I've had from any FSD version there.

It's to the point now where I drive in and out of my driveway, and navigate parking lots. The car drives me everywhere now. Except the HOV lanes.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
12.5.1.1 today did the same thing it did yesterday for me- stayed in the right lane too long as it approached my destination on the left (vs a left turn yesterday) so at .1 miles I took over. It did this fine up until 12.5.1.1 for me. This time I was on Iron Springs road which is 2 lanes in each direction with a dedicated left turn lane in the middle. Strange! Did fine otherwise, it even approached the entrance super carefully which is a soft curb driveway.

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
Eastham Massachusetts

I have 12.5.1.1 in my 2023 XLR and yes your right. Once the car slows ot will not go back up to MAX. I also found bringing the car back up to max and letting off will hold it until it needs to slow because of a slow car and you have to bring it back up.
Atleast the driving on the right line is gone.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I have 12.5.1.1 in my 2023 XLR and yes your right. Once the car slows ot will not go back up to MAX. I also found bringing the car back up to max and letting off will hold it until it needs to slow because of a slow car and you have to bring it back up.
Atleast the driving on the right line is gone.
Same thing happened to us on a decent drive from Prescott to Sedona and back wrt the speed. Seems to happen when I have the offset set vs letting the car manage speed with the disclaimer.
FWIW- there was a blip where it would see school zone speed limits, it didn't yesterday for me. It still jumps off I17 and almost onto the shoulder when taking the exit that goes into Sedona one our way up (RT270? The one with long stretches and roundabouts).
Didn't have to touch the wheel once the entire drive but instead had to hit the accelerator on several occasions. Still a lovely drive with scenery second to none :) .

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
12.5.1.3 has been out for 10 days now, not everyone has gotten it which means even older builds for most people. That has me concerned. That is, what’s the hold up if the new tech is supposed to push out new builds every couple weeks? Perhaps the changeover has been more intense than anticipated. I can see that happening.
In the meantime I had 12.5.1.3 try to jump into a left turn lane to pass a red Y in front of me on HWY69 (multiple lanes in both directions, painted center median). That was a return of inappropriate old behavior.
Speaking of left turns- the car turned at a light north of the actual turn it wanted on the nav when going to Desert Ridge over the weekend, and it has done that here on occasion. There are still some strange nav things, going through a traffic light to make a U turn instead of turning left at the light, making a right and 3 lefts instead of just a left. Not sure what’s going on there.
Once they get that under control FSD supervised will be fantastic, might even be good enough to really lul us into a false sense of security :) . Right now it’s keeping me on my toes.

VoodooPriest

Nov 26, 2022
For the first time in almost 3 years of ownership, I'm frustrated by the stalling releases. I'm still on 12.3.6 (with HW3) with no foreshadow of 12.5.X. First it was 10 days. Now it is past 20 days. I didn't overpay for a vehicle that remains static like an ICE car.

phxazcraig

Apr 4, 2024
For the first time in almost 3 years of ownership, I'm frustrated by the stalling releases. I'm still on 12.3.6 (with HW3) with no foreshadow of 12.5.X. First it was 10 days. Now it is past 20 days. I didn't overpay for a vehicle that remains static like an ICE car.
Look at the software version for 12.5.1.3. I think it was chosen so that everyone else can get to it, much like happened when 12.3.6 came out. It's definitely coming for HW3, and probably sooner rather than later. After all, non-FSD12.5 is up to 2024.26.7 and only has 26.8 and 26.9 left to work with before jumping over 12.5.

I got 12.5 right when it came out, much to my surprise, and I've been anxiously awaiting all those 'frequent updates' Elon mentioned would be coming. Sure enough, 12.5.1, then 1.1, 1.2 (skipped me) and 1.3 came out in short succession. And I've not noticed any particular difference in any of them, nor was any difference mentioned in the release notes.

At this point it appears Tesla is a bit stalled getting to 12.5.2, but I do think HW3 will get it then, hopefully along with sunglasses-enabled monitoring.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Complain and we get rewarded. Maybe. I see 12.5.1.4 is coming, not expecting much from it and it looks like it's on the same firmware 12.5.1.3 is on. My car hasn't gotten it yet. No idea WHO this update is for, hopefully HW3 will get it soon.
Honestly if Tesla could just clear up some of the routing and lane choice issues first THEN put out a 12.5 build to everyone it would be very satisfying for everyone.
Yesterday I had my Y choose a right turn lane when it wanted to go straight at a traffic light intersection. It patiently waited until the light turned green and then was going to go straight.
One other lane choice thing it did that was actually pretty good- I pulled out from a parking lot (right turn out) and needed to turn left at the intersection which was a few hundred feet from the lot exit. My car only got over to the left straight through lane as the left turn lane was full of cars. My Y went straight through the intersection it wanted to turn left at, then turned left into a parking lot of an old bank which is now an eye doctor. My car made 3 lefts through the parking lot, driving through the old drive through and made a right getting back onto the road, then a right at the light. All on its own, to me that was quite impressive.

Reactions: VoodooPriest

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
Eastham Massachusetts
12.5.1.3 has been out for 10 days now, not everyone has gotten it which means even older builds for most people. That has me concerned. That is, what’s the hold up if the new tech is supposed to push out new builds every couple weeks? Perhaps the changeover has been more intense than anticipated. I can see that happening.
In the meantime I had 12.5.1.3 try to jump into a left turn lane to pass a red Y in front of me on HWY69 (multiple lanes in both directions, painted center median). That was a return of inappropriate old behavior.
Speaking of left turns- the car turned at a light north of the actual turn it wanted on the nav when going to Desert Ridge over the weekend, and it has done that here on occasion. There are still some strange nav things, going through a traffic light to make a U turn instead of turning left at the light, making a right and 3 lefts instead of just a left. Not sure what’s going on there.
Once they get that under control FSD supervised will be fantastic, might even be good enough to really lul us into a false sense of security :) . Right now it’s keeping me on my toes.
I have it. I got it about 5 days ago 2023 model XLR. It's good im not sure why they are holding out. I do have HW4 im not sure if that makes a difference.i will say im getting really pissed off with the new monitoring you can't even turn to change a radio station without it turning the screen red. And it doesn't like sun glasses. I even covered the camera. Well it got really mad and removed FSD until I uncovered it. I hope this monitor is short lived Jeff