Discuss: Tesla FSD V12.5.6 Introduces Major Improvements: A Look at All the Changes [Photos]

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Isn't it kind of creepy reading that an autopilot can be programmed to exceed the speed limit by e.g. 40%?

I mean, we do that all day, simply because we're humans, slaves to our instincts. Going beyond the speed limit will save us 5 minutes at best on long journeys, we all know that. But still, we can't keep with having cars in front of us.

But having an autopilot doing the same... why?

RNHurt

Sep 17, 2022
Kentucky
A major expressway near me was redesigned 15 years ago and is much, much straighter and safer than it used to be; the speed limit is still unchanged at 55 MPH. Today, if you drive 55 MPH on that expressway you will almost literally be run over; the traffic flows at 70 MPH even in rush hour.

Having FSD stick to the "speed limit" would make a Tesla un-driveable and ultimately very unsafe. Just my $.02.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Today, if you drive 55 MPH on that expressway you will almost literally be run over; the traffic flows at 70 MPH even in rush hour.

Having FSD stick to the "speed limit" would make a Tesla un-driveable and ultimately very unsafe. Just my $.02.
You're describing a normal day in Italy, not an exception.

Limit on highways is 130km/h, it's quite common keeping 140km/h, even when there are speed controls, due to tolerance.
Otherwise whatever goes. Used to drive 150km/h pre-Vision, and 160km/h on the BMW (manual really anything above that).
If you keep 130 or even 140 you'll get run over on the right, flashed at, etc.

Expressway around the city previously had the same speed limits as the highways (130km/h), was lowered to 90km/h two decades ago. Nobody keeps 90, it goes as far at it can go.

Same on the Genoa coast, the limit is lower, between 90 and 100 due to difficult corners, I keep 130-140 safely, if the traffic allows it.

However, that's me, the human. If everyone did the right thing (impossible unless everyone goes FSD), I'm not sure I wouldn't want the car to exceed limits.

I understand there might be roads with speed limits that aren't updated, but also speed controls wouldn't be. I understand the case-by-case approach as well, but I hoped FSD could bring us down a notch, not the other way round.

Reactions: RNHurt

sunshine200837

Mar 24, 2024
Barry, illinois
Isn't it kind of creepy reading that an autopilot can be programmed to exceed the speed limit by e.g. 40%?

I mean, we do that all day, simply because we're humans, slaves to our instincts. Going beyond the speed limit will save us 5 minutes at best on long journeys, we all know that. But still, we can't keep with having cars in front of us.

I do agree, I was actually frustrated when he whole mars was whining about the speed and made the comment that the speed limit should be the minimum speed. Speed limits are the max speed legally but we humans seem to have it in our heads that it's a suggested speed. You may be able to get away with speeding 15 to 20mph over the limit in some areas of the country but in others like where I live, if you even go 1mph over, you are getting a ticket. the speed of the car should mainly maintain at least the speed limit unless going around corners, or inclement weather exists like fog, rain, snow. I've mainly had speed control issues on two lane roads. looking forward to 12.5.6 and wish I had it this week in advance of a thousand mile trip starting Friday but no such luck.

Reactions: RNHurt