Discuss: Should Tesla Phase Out Its Model X for the Model Y and Incoming Cybertruck?

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Explore the debate surrounding Tesla's Model X and its place in the current line-up. Comparisons with Model Y, diverse opinions, and potential strategies are di… Read More

Reactions: RNHurt

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I’ve thought about this as well, before the Y and after the CT announcement. The X was kinda a step toward the CT IMO, with all the un-orthodox / ‘hitech’ features. I call it the most expensive & fastest minivan. I have only had an X as a loaner, and it was fine but I quickly learned the gullwing doors couldn’t open all the way in my garage With the roll up door up.
If the CT construction is truly groundbreaking / cost saving / strong WHY NOT bring it to the X as it’s supposed to be an SUV, right? I’d say take the CT and make it into an SUV ala the Rivian R1T / R1S model? To that point I also thought why not a cyber car for the model 2 or whatever it will be called? Assuming again that the origami manufacturing is truly cost saving, aerodynamic, etc. Full disclosure- I do have a CT reservation but at this point I can’t afford or justify it. The cost will no doubt be more than $77k that I configured it at years ago, it’s probably too tall for my elderly parents to get in / out of comfortably (mom is almost too small to get in the Y without a step), AZ registration is no longer $25/yr for an EV and likely will be $900 or more a year. Sadly its delay is my loss. Fortunately I have a very capable Y with cheap registration for as long as I own it.

Reactions: RNHurt

bjrosen

Aug 20, 2023
What they should do is replace the S and X with extended 3 and Y. The big problem with those vehicles is that their build quality is so poor as compared to the 3 and Y plus they are looking very old. Tesla has introduced radically improved manufacturing technologies such as castings with the Y that they are now rolling into the 3, the S and X haven't benefited from that. There is a market for full sized vehicles with greater comfort but not when those vehicles worse built than their lower priced siblings. It also doesn't help that their have been minimal styling changes in 10 years.

szweiner

Aug 21, 2023
I am a successful retired owner of a 2021 Model X. This is my 2nd Tesla, moving from a 2017 S. I purchased the X for all those extras that the X comes with. I have family that comes to visit us in Florida. The X accommodates the seven of us exceptionally comfortably. When we travel, it is pure luxury. I will be disappointed if they eliminate this incredible, full-of-luxury automotive wonder.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
From what I've seen of recent Ss the build is solid, but I guess 'your milage may vary' there :) . The ride is a 2020+ S/X is soooo nice, I love my Y but it just isn't the same.
One thing I forgot to mention- parents with small children that require car seats appreciate the gull wing doors. I can imagine that gives access to your kids & all the buckles better than a traditional door. @szweiner what would you think of a Cyber X? All the luxury and mildly bulletproof?

Reactions: RNHurt and Wutlolok

Wutlolok

Aug 21, 2023
I bought a 2022 long range model X last year and it’s nicer in every conceivable way than the 2019 model 3 it replaced. I don’t know what the supposed problems are with its build quality, but I must have missed them.

I would never, ever consider a Cybertruck or anything that looks like it. It is, in my opinion, a goofy-looking vehicle.

A Model X without the falcon wing doors might be a good idea, but it’s a gimmick all my passengers have enjoyed. The automatic doors are an unbelievably luxurious and useful feature, though. They should make it to the model S someday.

If Tesla were to cancel the model X, my next car will probably be a Rivian.

SurfDog

Aug 30, 2023
I've always felt that the Falcon Wing Doors made the Model X an albatross from day one. They added a lot of expense to the vehicle, while limiting it's usefulness. The Model X was supposed to be an SUV. SUVs were, and are, the best selling vehicle segment. A lot of the Model X's features actually could have made it a high volume vehicle, but that never happened because of the added expense of the Falcon Wing Doors. Those doors also seriously limited the X's functionality in a very important aspect. What is a common denominator for most all SUVs that the Model X lacks? Roof Racks....
Sport Utility Vehicles are used to haul their owners' toys that can't fit inside, like canoes, kayaks, surfboards, small sailboats, bicycles, rafts, etc. Roof racks are used for other necessary items like lumber, and other hardware, mattresses, sofas, chairs, etc. That's why practically nobody is buying an expensive Model X, it's supposed to be an SUV, but it seriously lacks Utility.

Last edited:
Reactions: PrescottAZRichard