Discuss: FSD v12.5.3 (Update 2024.27.20) Release Notes

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Tesla app update 2024.27.20 includes Actually Smart Summon, FSD (Supervised) v12.5.3, Vision-Based Attention Monitoring, Full Self-Driving (Supervised), YouTube Music, Go on Green, Vision Speed Limits, Amazon Music, Castle Doombad Classic, Parental Controls, Weather Forecast and Air Quality, Schedule Charge and Preconditioning, Navigate to Sub-Destinations, Other Updates, Security Improvements, Reduce Fan Speed During Calls, New Key Required Screen, Improved Front Camera Clarity, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control Chime, New Ambient Lighting Options, Improved Climate Panel. View Release Notes

Marty13

Sep 4, 2024
I'm new to your forum. I apologize up front if this sounds like a rant.
Background: First Tesla bought in 2013 (MS-P85) and did 15 round trips to/from Seattle to Bay area and 1 cross country trip from Seattle to Columbus OH. Had 80 k miles on her when I sold it to get 2017 MX-75D (purchased FSD). Again many trips to/from Seattle to Bay, and 3 cross country trips to New York state, 50k miles on her when I sold it to get 2020 MY-LR with FSD (sold mainly because Tesla choked my Supercharging input from 125k to 80k) . Just finished my 4th cross country trip to NYS. I've never had a peaceful drive using any iteration of FSD. Always some phantom braking, abrupt lane changes, drifting into on-ramps, and alerts to why FSD had been degraded (rain, sun, insect guts, fog, snow). My last trip was Aug 1 thru Aug 21, 6,100 miles under FSD 12.3.6_ 2024.20.9. (traveled on I-80 from Concord CA to near Chicago, then I-90 to Rome, New York...and back) I called support multiple times to document my issues.

How can I tell what hardware iteration I'm on?? I have the Intel Atom Ifotainment Processor. Is the HW a determinant of when you get these updates?? I passed the "Safety Score" system for BETA on Nov 11, 2021. Frustrated that as of today, I still haven't got upgraded to FSD 12.5 after paying for 2 cars with FSD, and my buddy got 12.5 while on the monthly subscription plan almost 2 months ago.
Thanks for reading this far.

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
I'm new to your forum. I apologize up front if this sounds like a rant.
Background: First Tesla bought in 2013 (MS-P85) and did 15 round trips to/from Seattle to Bay area and 1 cross country trip from Seattle to Columbus OH. Had 80 k miles on her when I sold it to get 2017 MX-75D (purchased FSD). Again many trips to/from Seattle to Bay, and 3 cross country trips to New York state, 50k miles on her when I sold it to get 2020 MY-LR with FSD (sold mainly because Tesla choked my Supercharging input from 125k to 80k) . Just finished my 4th cross country trip to NYS. I've never had a peaceful drive using any iteration of FSD. Always some phantom braking, abrupt lane changes, drifting into on-ramps, and alerts to why FSD had been degraded (rain, sun, insect guts, fog, snow). My last trip was Aug 1 thru Aug 21, 6,100 miles under FSD 12.3.6_ 2024.20.9. (traveled on I-80 from Concord CA to near Chicago, then I-90 to Rome, New York...and back) I called support multiple times to document my issues.

How can I tell what hardware iteration I'm on?? I have the Intel Atom Ifotainment Processor. Is the HW a determinant of when you get these updates?? I passed the "Safety Score" system for BETA on Nov 11, 2021. Frustrated that as of today, I still haven't got upgraded to FSD 12.5 after paying for 2 cars with FSD, and my buddy got 12.5 while on the monthly subscription plan almost 2 months ago.
Thanks for reading this far.
With a 2020 Model Y, you'd have hardware 3. Although the latest FSD 12.5 releases are better, they're not going to be night and day from the version you're currently on, which is presumably 12.3.6.

Tesla rolls out their updates slowly to prevent large issues from affecting the entire fleet of vehicles. On the software updates page you'll be able to see the percentage of cars on each update, which may be helpful to you to see whether you're far behind.

If you subscribe to or bought FSD, then that's all you need to do (given you're in the US and have a capable car) to eventually get the latest FSD updates. We all enjoy talking about the latest improvements and software, but usually only a small fraction of people have the latest and it'll take several weeks for everyone to receive it.

Hope that helps!

Marty13

Sep 4, 2024
With a 2020 Model Y, you'd have hardware 3. Although the latest FSD 12.5 releases are better, they're not going to be night and day from the version you're currently on, which is presumably 12.3.6.

Tesla rolls out their updates slowly to prevent large issues from affecting the entire fleet of vehicles. On the software updates page you'll be able to see the percentage of cars on each update, which may be helpful to you to see whether you're far behind.

If you subscribe to or bought FSD, then that's all you need to do (given you're in the US and have a capable car) to eventually get the latest FSD updates. We all enjoy talking about the latest improvements and software, but usually only a small fraction of people have the latest and it'll take several weeks for everyone to receive it.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for your reply and you've filled in some blank spots for me. One point that was left out in your response.....how does the Intel Atom stack up to the newer ECU or MCU(??) in computing power for the FSD software?? Martin

Not a Tesla App

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 18, 2022
Thanks for your reply and you've filled in some blank spots for me. One point that was left out in your response.....how does the Intel Atom stack up to the newer ECU or MCU(??) in computing power for the FSD software?? Martin
The Intel chipset is MCU 2, which is slower than the newer MCU 3 which is powered by AMD Ryzen. The infotainment chip has no effect on FSD, but it does on other vehicle software features. However, there are very few vehicle features that require MCU 3. The biggest feature not available on MCU 2 is probably high-fidelity park assist.

Reactions: RNHurt