Bluetooth phone key unreliable.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
Hey guys, am I the only one having issues with the phone key? It's been happening already a few times since August, probably 2024.26 or .20, can't remember.

I open the car, everything seems fine, until I step on the brake... and nothing happens. The first time it happened, I immediately resorted to app Controls.

The phone seemed connected to Bluetooth. It was "just" the key...

Yesterday I took it from the garage, as usual. The car was already open, as usual, on a special Garage profile connecte to their key (to get rid of automated closures, my Airbus lock sound, etc.). I would expect it to switch to my profile upon braking. Nothing. Resorted to the Garage key, and manual switch.

Kinda annoying, UWB on Apple and on Android I can barely drive the car.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Works here 99.9% of the time, when it doesn't (usually when I'm trying to get in the car) I can wake up my iPhone and that does the trick. Just getting the screen to light up. I think ONCE it did that to me in the car, but can't swear by it.
I wonder if that's related to the weirdness I have when using a shortcut / voice command to open / close the trunk on the Y. Sometimes it opens half way or shuts half way. Very odd and too many places for that problem to live to troubleshoot.
This is with my iPhone 15Pro, and across all versions of Tesla app / car software and even the 2020 & 2024 Y.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
That's quite weird, seems we don't even have consistent experiences.
Once or twice I may have had to "wake" the phone up, and often it's me forgetting to turn on Bluetooth... but I realize it outside the car, not when already inside. This is a whole new level.

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard
Oct 17, 2023
California
Hey guys, am I the only one having issues with the phone key? It's been happening already a few times since August, probably 2024.26 or .20, can't remember.

I open the car, everything seems fine, until I step on the brake... and nothing happens. The first time it happened, I immediately resorted to app Controls.

The phone seemed connected to Bluetooth. It was "just" the key...

Yesterday I took it from the garage, as usual. The car was already open, as usual, on a special Garage profile connecte to their key (to get rid of automated closures, my Airbus lock sound, etc.). I would expect it to switch to my profile upon braking. Nothing. Resorted to the Garage key, and manual switch.

Kinda annoying, UWB on Apple and on Android I can barely drive the car.
Thought I was the only one, Its rare but it happens sometimes. I just always make sure to have a keycard on me just in case. I thought maybe it was a bug on my phone but now I really don't know. Since its rare I let it slide but I hope it doesn't become common.

K.I.T.T.

Mar 26, 2024
Italy
I agree it's rare but it was quite weird all the times it happened. And makes me a bit uncomfortable, regardless of having alternatives (also because being unprepared in the worst moments can have unforeseeable consequences).

Oct 17, 2023
California
I agree it's rare but it was quite weird all the times it happened. And makes me a bit uncomfortable, regardless of having alternatives (also because being unprepared in the worst moments can have unforeseeable consequences).
100% agree. It makes me worry about my family in an emergency where they might not know what to do or have no backups to drive.