2024.15.15 with 12.4.3

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
Eastham Massachusetts
So yesterday I recieved 2024.15.15. In one day I have lost one of my 5 good boys because of the new driver monitor what a pain. The monitor even tells you it can't see your eyes because of sun glasses on.
FSD 12.4.3 update seems to have fixed the driving on the right side of the road.
I hope that the FSD continues on this line. I'd like to hear from anyone else that has this update.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I have it on my '24 LR Y. Sadly this build has re-introduced some unnecessary turn signals on twisty roads for me. It still doesn't like to go the speed you set it to at times. I set it at 10% over and it just doesn't like to pass cars going slower without some input. There's also a spot where it doesn't get in a left lane anticipating a split, which is annoying. The no hands thing is fine but I'd happily give that up for those minor annoyances getting fixed.
It is changing lanes with more 'confidence' which was a BIG annoyance. I'll see how it does later today on a longer drive.

mcsilver

Apr 20, 2024
I'm excited to see that 2024.15.15 is rolling out. Does anyone have ideas why it is not releasing at a faster rate? Is it typical to go more slowly for a week or so before really bursting out?

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
I'm excited to see that 2024.15.15 is rolling out. Does anyone have ideas why it is not releasing at a faster rate? Is it typical to go more slowly for a week or so before really bursting out?
It is not typical. Usually, once it goes, it goes pretty wide, pretty fast. This is annoyingly slow based on previous releases (once deemed good enough to go wide). Finding and fixing the regressions before wide release is fine.

mcsilver

Apr 20, 2024
Painfully slow! If only there were an option to be in the "advanced" group vs. "standard" 😁 /s

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
We drove 120 miles plus with it last night. It is smooth in a lot of respects, but not a huge leap forward IMO. Still an occasional lane change for no apparent reason. Misses 65MPH signs on state highways (here in AZ on 169) but gets them on interstates? Still doesn't get over to the left or right before turns early enough IMO. While it was nice to NOT have to touch the steering wheel I was goosing the accelerator pedal a lot. I have the speed set to 10% over the speed limit and it would hover below that at times for no apparent reason. It did well in round abouts, and pulled away from them better than before.
I have a stray turn signal return, where the road I'm on twists to the left and there's a residential street interesting at the right. The car started signaling left again which is unnecessary and confusing.
So I'd say you're not missing much yet. If you're wearing sun glasses you're REALLY not missing much as you'll still have to move the steering wheel.

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
We drove 120 miles plus with it last night. It is smooth in a lot of respects, but not a huge leap forward IMO. Still an occasional lane change for no apparent reason. Misses 65MPH signs on state highways (here in AZ on 169) but gets them on interstates? Still doesn't get over to the left or right before turns early enough IMO. While it was nice to NOT have to touch the steering wheel I was goosing the accelerator pedal a lot. I have the speed set to 10% over the speed limit and it would hover below that at times for no apparent reason. It did well in round abouts, and pulled away from them better than before.
I have a stray turn signal return, where the road I'm on twists to the left and there's a residential street interesting at the right. The car started signaling left again which is unnecessary and confusing.
So I'd say you're not missing much yet. If you're wearing sun glasses you're REALLY not missing much as you'll still have to move the steering wheel.
This is consistent from what I have heard from others. I just want the no nag. I can deal with the other nuances.

acmem

Mar 27, 2024
I wonder if FSD updates are plateauing. Only so much they can fix.

Sort of like the wipers. They have obviously reached the limit with what they can do with cameras without using a rain sensor.

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
The wipers were pretty good With this build. We had everything from sunny to horizontal rain and I didn’t have to touch the wiper control once. Thanks for reminding me to mention them!

Reactions: Bob C and RNHurt

mcsilver

Apr 20, 2024
I wonder if FSD updates are plateauing. Only so much they can fix.

Sort of like the wipers. They have obviously reached the limit with what they can do with cameras without using a rain sensor.
I really hope this isn't true. For now, I remain optimistic. I just can't wrap my head around how to train bad behaviour out of a neural net, but they seem to be doing it, albeit two steps forward, one step back.

mcsilver

Apr 20, 2024
The wipers were pretty good With this build. We had everything from sunny to horizontal rain and I didn’t have to touch the wiper control once. Thanks for reminding me to mention them!
IMHO, they massively improved the wipers recently (I have 2024.14.9, so it might have been with that update). It's not perfect, but I rely on auto much more than I did before.

moortime

Aug 14, 2023
Eastham Massachusetts
I have been on the early release for years including when I had my model Y and my 21 x performance.
I'm not sure how I got it but there are pros and Cons. For me I take along time for other releases.

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
Elon just tweeted that 12.5 is being validated near Chuck Cook's UPL. So those of us still on 12.3.6 might leapfrog to 12.5. If this is the case, I'm good with not getting 12.4.X

Reactions: PrescottAZRichard

mcsilver

Apr 20, 2024
Elon just tweeted that 12.5 is being validated near Chuck Cook's UPL. So those of us still on 12.3.6 might leapfrog to 12.5. If this is the case, I'm good with not getting 12.4.X
Same here. What's "Chuck Cook's UPL" though?

EdinEPTX

Apr 21, 2024
@mcsilver
Chuck Cook is one of the early OG Beta testers for FSD. He usually gets new releases early (as in first wave after employees). He has a YouTube Channel. His route near his house has a tricky Unprotected Left Turn (UPL). Tesla has ADAS (FSD) Testers in his area. They use his UPL as part of some of the validation protocols. His stuff is quite no-nonsense and he doesn't sugar coat the stuff he does not like (Like some of the others that do videos).

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
Chuck has a short video up of other Tesla cars doing left and right turns at a similar intersection. The vid says these are Tesla cars testing 12.5 and the left turn behavior looks very smart.
If the car can get oncoming traffic on 2 cameras at the same time then it has a higher likelihood of getting the speed and distance of approaching traffic IMO. It could very well be a version of stereo vision that most people have, but more complicated in that the focal length of the cameras are prolly way different. Still, for a computer that shouldn’t be hard to calculate. That’s me speculating of course :) .

Reactions: RNHurt and EdinEPTX

DonSp

Jul 19, 2024
I got 2024.15.15, FSD 12.4.3 about a week ago on my Model Y. Two things I've noticed are unnecessary lane changes into the left lane (even with minimize lane changes on), and a tendency to slow down quite a bit when making turns. Other than that it's been good. As anticipated, the steering wheel nags are gone, but they return if you're wearing sunglasses.

Last edited:

PrescottAZRichard

Oct 28, 2022
I got 2024.15.15, FSD 12.4.3 about a week ago on my Model Y. Two things I've noticed are unnecessary lane changes into the left lane (even with minimize lane changes on), and a tendency to slow down quite a bit when making turns. Other than that it's been good. As anticipated, the steering wheel nags are gone, but they return if you're wearing sunglasses.
You reminded me- the driving profile is always aggressive in spite of me setting it to anything else. Once I turn on FSD it is aggressive. That's strange.